No Joy At Roosting!

7daysinaweek

After a long period of not being able to get out eventually got a few days off and today grabbed the Baikal to try for a pigeon. Down to a small permission at 2.30pm and drew onto the track, as I parked up magpie to the right on the stubble. After unloading both barrels from the sitting position in the driver seat the magpie was away with a total miss. How did that happen?

It was overcast with a light wind and no rain, walking to the wood in mild weather I was soon stripping layers off. I positioned myself in the wood well concealed, this strip of wood in my previous experiences has been often travelled by pigeons on the way out and back to a larger wood a few fields away on other land which I do not have access.

Nothing for about an hour then out of the corner of my eye noticed some movement. A grey squirrel which was quickly dispatched. Shortly afterwards a crow came which I did not see on approach and it was going away from me at what looked like a slowwww speed, obviously not, as I drew through it another miss. I was not getting exasperated as it was just wonderful to be out. Then they came!, a big spread of maybe 30 or 50 pigeon, I could not say, they silently glided over the top of the wood and missed one bird with both barrels, by the time I had reloaded they were gone. After a few minutes a single bird came from the opposite direction of the travelling birds and with a snap shot through the canopy I connected with it and it fell about 30 yards away from me into a thick ditch full of scrub and despite a a extensive search I could not locate it. The bailkal comes in handy as it doubles as a searching stick for light scrub, minus the cartridges obviously and checking for any barrel debris prior to reloading :lol:

After waiting until 4.30 nothing else presented itself and I stayed until the last threads of light were fading. Was great to be out and certainly blew out the cobwebs. 

Notice the blue cartridge. From Tightchoke account the red cartridges are the best so I will attribute my poor bag to using the inferior blue cartidge and not to my shooting ability. :lol:

atb

7diaw

Argghh! me pics are all SKEW-WIFF!

20211228_145203_opt.jpg

20211228_150109_opt.jpg

20211228_152144_opt.jpg

20211228_151736_opt.jpg

20211228_145018_opt (1).jpg

Edited by 7daysinaweek

A great shame you hadn't taken RED cartridges!

Shooting from the sitting position let alone in a car is difficult to do well and will require much practice to master.

As you say, at least you were out in fresh air and that has got to better than working or sitting at home.

You really should get out again as soon as possible.

Well done.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A great shame you hadn't taken RED cartridges!

Shooting from the sitting position let alone in a car is difficult to do well and will require much practice to master.

As you say, at least you were out in fresh air and that has got to better than working or sitting at home.

You really should get out again as soon as possible.

Well done.

Many thanks TT

I admit, red carts would not had made any difference LOL!

The shot from the front seat went as follows.

1) Twist oneself from the front seat leaning over the back seat akin to a bad contortionist; break gun from slip.

2) put front window down and protrude broken gun inadvertently activating the front windscreen wipers. At the same time struggle around in cartridge bag that you think is within reach but is not whislt keeping an eye on the target.

3) load gun with cartridge preferably 'RED ONES' but 'lesser blue' the only available.

4) Let loose both barrels and 'MISS.' :lol:

A very enjoyable day despite the bag.

Will hopefully be out soon and will report up.

atb

2 hours ago, captainhastings said:

I had a Baikal  over and under and could not hit a arm door with it. Gave it to the son in law and he was the same and he swapped it for an old sxs which shoots a charm 

It would appear that I have purchased that very gun! :lol: Tried a sxs many years ago and could not get on with it, maybe I should give one another go. 👍

atb

33 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Great report and it is nice to see what a Blue sky look like as it seem ages since we last saw one , Red , no not cartridges , but sky in the mornings then wet , misty , murky conditions seem to be the order of the day and today was exactly the same .

All the best and THANKS for posting :good:

For most of the afternoon MM it was overcast then it cleared quite quickly as the light drew in and the wind dropped completely. We have not had a frost here at all this year that I can recall, hopefully we get some cold Jan and Feb. Today it is very overcast with a light wind, no abilty to get out today. Hopefully I get out again soon and all the best,

7diaw