Dating 12mm/.410 Belgian Folder from marks

Keith RW

Good afternoon all

Just in the process of dating a couple of vintage guns I picked up earlier this year from an also vintage acquaintance who gave up shooting over 25 years ago and has had them sat in a cabinet since then with them having belong to previous generations of his family.

This one is a Belgian folder proofed for black powder and which has makers marks on the barrel showing 12M & C (inside the diamond, indicating 12mm) and which marks were used up until 1924, the barrel is also marked 10.5 for .410 (10.4mm) and which cartridges it has shot in its previous life, apparently the 12mm used in marks and descriptions such as this was an inaccurate European designation of the .410 

If I am correct he inspectors mark "M" dates it from 1923 - 1952  so along with above info can date this one as having been manufactured between 1923-1924

There is also an "AE" inspectors mark that I cannot find any info on, which captures my interest further as not seen this before, any ideas anyone

20211229_114928.jpg

20211229_115113.jpg

20211229_115248.jpg

Edited by Keith RW

I think you are pretty well correct so far. 
Certainly black powder, but has likely used nitro most of it’s life, as have most of the old Belgian .410’s.  
12mm is certainly what Europe called the .410.  I have never measured one to see, but I suspect 12mm is the outside diameter of the cartridge case??