Green mold on external wall

captainhastings

That's a lot of growth for short time. Does that wall sweat in cold months or run off from elsewhere? Have you stood planters/pots on there and used plant feed? Brush on Household thick bleach mixed 50/50 with water with cheap nylon bristled brush and leave. Good as any expensive fungicidal mix. Not cheap, but try Dulux All Seasons oil based masonry paint. NB

Thanks folks for the ideas plenty to go at. The yard is below the level of the ground at the back and all three walls are like that where water comes through. I should have known 8 quid paint was not going to cut it. I will treat it with one of the suggestions and then maybe repaint it with a decent paint in spring 

2 hours ago, captainhastings said:

The yard is below the level of the ground at the back and all three walls are like that where water comes through.

It'll always occur if you don't stop this first ! If that can't be stopped, algae will always grow in those conditions, whatever you treat the wall with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

If you power wash  it it pushes the spores back into the masonry and and when you paint over it again the algae/green stuff will reappear, some paint shops can take a sample of the paint and get it tested to see what it can be treated with.... I'm guessing chlorus would be the best bet, but then if  you have a patio or something laid it could discolour it.