Advice on the best way to decoy and shoot this field

andy1969

you are allowed to shoot near a road but if  you shooting causes harm or puts a road user in danger then its an offence and i cant imagine it will go your way. and that can be anything like giving a cyclist or horse a fright, dropping the birds onto the road or showering cars with shot.  each to their own but for me its not worth it, i straight up just dont set up anywhere near roads  even if it mean being in a less than favourable position. is setting up into the field pointing away from road and stll under the flight line not an option?. ive seen some pretty effective hides built round telegraph poles and stuff.

Edited by Sweet11-87

Looking how far from the centre  of the road the edge of the field is .I'd have a go at that ,setting up my hide, but I'd certainly  use my .410 hushpower  with my quieter carts .and make sure I don't shoot any more than 180 degree .I'd also gauge how busy the road is with cyclists, horses  walkers etc ..

If its just cars and trucks  I'd shoot .

Maybe a week day as opposed to a weekend  .

20 hours ago, clangerman said:

shot such places many times now older and hopefully wiser if it gives a uncomfortable feeling I don’t shoot it 

Exactly how I would look at the situation , I wouldn't take the same chances as I once did , many a time I have had my back to a road but this would only be a minor road that run through the estate , the early part of the last lockdown was a nightmare , people wandering all over the place and many straying from the foot paths , this made me feel very uneasy and some fields I wouldn't  shoot while there was people walking and on bikes trying to make out they were lost .

On 29/12/2021 at 15:17, andy1969 said:

Hi what would be the the best way to decoy and shoot safely when you h have a hedge with a main road behind you see photo thanks 

05F0958F-71D9-49A1-AD05-34763FE0D6E6.jpeg.jpg

Depends what's drilled. 

I'd set up in the field on a tram line with the road to my back. You'll do very little damage. 

On 29/12/2021 at 15:17, andy1969 said:

Hi what would be the the best way to decoy and shoot safely when you h have a hedge with a main road behind you see photo thanks 

05F0958F-71D9-49A1-AD05-34763FE0D6E6.jpeg.jpg

You don't show what is out on the other sides of the field. What's right over the other side by those trees.  It's difficult because we're not there but the pigeons probably are just overflying the field if its veg therefore are not decoyable and flying high and fast... IF... this is the case I'd try to get over by those trees under the linè, and just stand still,  not bother with a hide and shoot at them like high birds.  By doing this you'd be nowhere near the road and any shot fall out would be well within the field.  What crop is it.?  beans.?  Cant tell. 

On 30/12/2021 at 16:08, mellors said:

Depends what's drilled. 

I'd set up in the field on a tram line with the road to my back. You'll do very little damage. 

Sorry no reply been I'll with this dam covid but will be out trying again over the next week and will let you know thanks for your help