A few roost shooting.

JDog

The first evening of wind saw me heading to a roosting wood.

This afternoon was much lighter than of late and I waited 30 minutes after my arrival at 3 before I saw the first pigeon. There weren't as many as normal and I only fired thirteen shots for ten pigeons picked.

With the aid of my new semi auto my shooting has gone from below average to adequate.

This was the view as I left the wood.20211229_161817.jpg.66dc4fa17cd23e76363fa648fc30cae2.jpg

In my estimation to get 10 out of 13 shots whilst roost shooting is well above average , unless he took each one off the perch ?, no I cant see Mr JDog stopping that low , unlike me , but then again , how many people have put a shot at one sitting on the branch and it fly off as if nothing have happened :lol:

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

In my estimation to get 10 out of 13 shots whilst roost shooting is well above average , unless he took each one off the perch ?, no I cant see Mr JDog stopping that low , unlike me , but then again , how many people have put a shot at one sitting on the branch and it fly off as if nothing have happened 

No shame in taking a sitter.  You've done your fieldcraft to put yourself in the place they want to come in so take them however you find them, that's my opinion!

And, yes, it does beggar belief sometime when they fly of apparently untouched.  However on many occasions I've hunted the dog in the general direction they escaped in and have found it having flown on and dropped some distance away, either stone dead, running or perched low unable to fly.

6 hours ago, JDog said:

The first evening of wind saw me heading to a roosting wood.

This afternoon was much lighter than of late and I waited 30 minutes after my arrival at 3 before I saw the first pigeon. There weren't as many as normal and I only fired thirteen shots for ten pigeons picked.

With the aid of my new semi auto my shooting has gone from below average to adequate.

This was the view as I left the wood.20211229_161817.jpg.66dc4fa17cd23e76363fa648fc30cae2.jpg

That's a very efficient ratio and a beautiful scene to backdrop your walk to the car :)  I'll be starting my roost shooting outings soon and I can't wait....

3 hours ago, Scully said:

That’s a very good ratio JD. There’s just something about being in a wood on your own, just standing there, listening and looking. 

Agreed, looking, listening is a privilege.

I remember a cloud of several hundred pigeons lifted from a nearby field and came over me.

Both barrels fired, thinking two or three would drop. No, just one and it was a runner which I had to chase and caught.

45 minutes ago, redial said:

Agreed, looking, listening is a privilege.

I remember a cloud of several hundred pigeons lifted from a nearby field and came over me.

Both barrels fired, thinking two or three would drop. No, just one and it was a runner which I had to chase and caught.

Strangely I let rip at a plague of maybe several thousand pigeons with around 7 shots and dropped just three at a range of no more than 30 yards. I thought I would drop at least 10 birds. I was very disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Strangely I let rip at a plague of maybe several thousand pigeons with around 7 shots and dropped just three at a range of no more than 30 yards. I thought I would drop at least 10 birds. I was very disappointed. 

You have to pick an individual out for each shot!

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yep i know :lol: but when you are faced by a screaming kamikaze hoard that are coming in and you have a fully loaded 12g the temptation to let rip can be overwhelming. After they have done a few laps of the field and coming back for more, you learn to take it slow.  Still in the back of the mind the temptation to LET IT RIP!!! is still there 🤪

Come to Africa with us in May 2022 we have a couple of spaces left.

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Absolutely.  I used to shoot ferals around a grain store quite regularly.  They flew in tight packs and I sometimes unloaded all three shots from the semi-auto into them for no result.  It makes you realise just how accurate you have to be with shot placement even when it looks like you couldn't miss.  Not easy, this shooting lark!

My favourite shooting of all, would love to have access to more! 
Had a great hour and a half this afternoon on the edge of a small wood on a flight line to the main roosting woodland which I can’t shoot and picked up exactly 30…..I love the fact I can pull up in the truck and get out with just cartridges and gun with no kit as such. 
Hit some screamers today and just seemed to be on them however they came over……other times you can fire a lot of shots for an embarrassingly low number of birds! 

2 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

My favourite shooting of all, would love to have access to more! 
Had a great hour and a half this afternoon on the edge of a small wood on a flight line to the main roosting woodland which I can’t shoot and picked up exactly 30…..I love the fact I can pull up in the truck and get out with just cartridges and gun with no kit as such. 
Hit some screamers today and just seemed to be on them however they came over……other times you can fire a lot of shots for an embarrassingly low number of birds! 

Thirty is very good going just being on a flight line , we see very few 30s when roost shooting unless the person had put some decoys and a magnet on the outside of the wood to give them more shooting .

Well done and a very good start to 2022 .  HAPPY NEW YEAR .

23 hours ago, marsh man said:

Thirty is very good going just being on a flight line , we see very few 30s when roost shooting unless the person had put some decoys and a magnet on the outside of the wood to give them more shooting .

Well done and a very good start to 2022 .  HAPPY NEW YEAR .

Thanks marshman, I’ve only bettered it once myself and not by many. It’s not too far from home and I spend a lot more time watching them than shooting. I shot 23 in the same place a few weeks previously which I thought was good, for some reason the flight line is unusually busy this year but they’re not hitting the rape! 
I’m sure I’d have a bumper bag if I could shoot where they’re heading to roost. 
Happy New Year to you too, hope you get out and have some roost shooting yourself! 

Edited by Wilts#Dave