Hip flasks ???

samboy

15 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

On our syndicate we tend to get through quite a lot of drink. Hip flasks are very small vessels and drinks are best to be shared. I have a couple of stainless steel hip flasks that I have been gifted, but taking a full bottle and little cups is my preference. 

Yes indeed, a bottle of my Raspberry Gin is always well received and I use small shot glasses to hand it round.

Last Saturday in Yorkshire, one of the Guns was dishing out various tipples in those cardboard coffee cups, too easy to over do it when there are guns around. 

Stainless steel.  Having said that - I rarely carry a flask. 

Whilst not a teetotal, I am careful on a shooting day, as I am almost always driving and sometimes shooting.  We have a drink at lunchtime (typically a glass of fizz with a splash of something sloe gin like), but usually that is all.  In my 50+ years in shooting I have only very occasionally seen 'overindulgence' in alcohol, but with guns (and often driving) it is unacceptable to me.  Afterwards and have a driver - no problem at all, but when shooting or driving, people should exercise common sense and restraint.  A few I know are teetotal when shooting.

If I do take a flask (which is more likely to be on long cold walks than shooting days, I use a stainless with a rusty nail in it.

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

On our syndicate we tend to get through quite a lot of drink. Hip flasks are very small vessels and drinks are best to be shared. I have a couple of stainless steel hip flasks that I have been gifted, but taking a full bottle and little cups is my preference. 

Spot on Sir.

I must have at least four hip flasks, (all gifts), but a bottle and small shot glasses every time. 
Myself, I only ever have one very small tot of sloe on a shoot day and always refuse the fizz mix as a) it is too much and b) it ruins the sloe gin.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Stainless steel.  Having said that - I rarely carry a flask. 

If I do take a flask (which is more likely to be on long cold walks than shooting days, I use a stainless with a rusty nail in it.

Definitely stainless bit I'd strongly recommend one with a retained cap as they're too easy to lose.

Always rusty nail in my flask. 

Stainless. Mine has some Damson Brandy in it from years ago. We decanted it from demijohns at least two years ago, and OH made a cake with the damsons as they were far too soft to cover in chocolate! Alcoholic cake! Fabulous! 
Strangely enough I take mine but it is always drunk by others, I never seem to get a swig myself for whatever reason. 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, London Best said:

Best hip flask is somebody else’s.

Yes. Handed back with the words..."That's helped you out...a bit lighter for you to carry now". me I'm in two minds to be honest and would actually prefer spirits out of a glass "flat" than any metal flask. The old fashioned "flat of whisky or brandy or etc.." It doesn't look as nice but at least you can see that the thing is clean inside. I've never liked metal flasks as they can get furred up inside. Just my 2p worth.

We were picking up a few weeks back and 1 gun in particular was slurring words on his 2nd drive. Quite a wealthy chap,in fact very wealthy,  and an extremely good shot unfortunately. But one that we will not see on that shoot again. His arrogance was like his ego, overwhelmingly huge and unwanted. 

And we've not even touched on the safety side of it. The guy was a huge Capon

I don't mind a small tot but drinking to get brimmed 💀nah not my idea of a day out. 

29 minutes ago, Dougy said:

We were picking up a few weeks back and 1 gun in particular was slurring words on his 2nd drive. Quite a wealthy chap,in fact very wealthy,  and an extremely good shot unfortunately. But one that we will not see on that shoot again. His arrogance was like his ego, overwhelmingly huge and unwanted. 

I don't mind a small tot but drinking to get brimmed 💀nah not my idea of a day out. 

We had a similar group a few weeks before Christmas. They were simply just so excited to be on such a day, and the hip flasks obviously got the better of them.
They weren’t very good shots to be honest, but they really enjoyed the day. 

48 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Back in the ‘90’s I was picking up on a very expensive day, hosted and paid for by one man. One of the guests had too much at 11’s and became rather loud and arrogant. The shoot captain had a word with the host, who was very embarrassed about it. The gobby one was packed off home (he had his own driver) and told he would not be shooting on that estate again.

On the 2nd drive i commented on a shot he made over his neighbouring gun, the 1st gun missed with both barrels and this guy dropped it with the 1st, it was a bloody good shot and going away. He replied  "you should see me when i get warmed up" with the wiff of booze and his arrogant reply i told him i think they had put too much [muck/manure] on this field as the smell was over powering. 

It was pleasing to hear so many commenting during the day on the arrogance of this bloke, i thought it was just me. 

7 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I was wondering why the hell people would put an actual rusty nail in their hip flask along with their whisky 😵

As for the drink.... what a waste of good scotch.  The only thing you should put with decent scotch is a drop of water to bring out the flavour.  (just finished off a nice Talisker Storm :) )