Swapping guns … ata to rottweil

Idontknow

Hi all . 

been offered to swap my ata sp sporter with adjustable comb for a rottweil 580 sporter + £150 .. 

I get on with both guns very well . I brought the ata cheap and was surpose to be until had more money to buy something else . 
but new house . 2 year old and one of the way has ended that dream lol . 

Any options would be great . 
I don’t know much about the rottweil on reliability and parts . Or if it a clone of something . 

From memory, Rottweil never made a gun, they were sourced out to other firms - mainly in Italy. I suspect spares would be scarce. That said, they were supposed to be decent guns. 

I would be looking at whether the action was tight or loose. What is the top lever position? Is it central or to the right? If it is to the left, I would walk away.

25 minutes ago, Scully said:

Personally, if you shoot the ATA well, I’d just stick with that until you can afford something you really want. I don’t see what is to be gained in swapping for an unknown, either from a financial point or any other point frankly. 

Think . Decent gun , £150 in my pocket 

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

My thoughts are that if the Rottweil is worth £150 less than the ATA it must be a dubious swap.

I paid £400 . For the ata . So thinking 250 .. rottweil .. £150 cash .. money back ?? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

😀Fair enough! I’ve been in your position, two young kids and no dosh, only I had to sell my guns for whatever the RFD would give me. 
The 150 quid will melt away as quick as snow in the sun. 🙂

Ye is a bit of a poo at the mo . To many hobbies. + family . Sapping all the money … should just sell the bike …. But …. No thanks lol 

Back in the early 2000s I had a 29" barrel Rottweil Supersport for a couple of years. It was made by Sabatti and was mechanically identical to the Browning Medallist, just with better wood and decoration. Mine didn't break down at all but those 12g Sabattis were famous for breaking their ejectors and if that happened the repair bill would be more than the gun is worth and certainly more than £150. By comparison ATAs are a clone of the Beretta 686 and therefore pretty well bulletproof.

Most of us know all about kids/mortgages/justifying our toys and so on but ultimately £150 isn't likely to be life changing. If it is then forget about shooting, at least for now.