Lakeside Sporting Ltd

TIGHTCHOKE

It is the only place I go clay shooting, because I am not really a clay shooter only for fun.

Very much worth a visit. Good food too. And a well stocked shop.

edit to say: I could not possibly comment from a serious/competitive clay shooter’s position.

Edited by London Best

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It looked a nice place from what I saw of it.

May well give it a go when the weather is more conducive.

Its alright , not the best place in Notts .

Claymate system that can make it expensive.

There are a multitude of stands , set in a fairly compact setting, some shoot over water, but many of them are very 'samey' and some extremely short range ones, there is also a great cafe , and a very well stocked shop.
Its worth a look, but I much prefer Cocketts, or Brandon is also a good shoot.

55 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I've used it once but it's a bit like shooting on the Somme battlefield five years after WWI if that makes sense? Desolate still exposed and scarred earth and mud in places but nice people, easily accessible stands, friendly place but not as good in terms of variety of birds as Kibworth Shooting Ground.

They used the Covid lockdown to civilise the Somme. Quite tidy now with no plaswads lying about any more.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

There are a multitude of stands , set in a fairly compact setting, some shoot over water, but many of them are very 'samey' and some extremely short range ones, there is also a great cafe , and a very well stocked shop.

Strange how different people see different things. 
I was once persuaded to attend a charity shoot at Cocketts and nothing would make me go back there. But as I said, I am definitely not a clay shooter.

Just got back from a lovely shoot with my son at Lakeside. I shot a couple of boxes of black powder. Lots of folk interested in my old hammergun. You do need wellies at this time of year but the stands are clean. New clay there which skips across the lake. At least you can see where your shot is going.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Why is claymate expensive please?

Last shot there in April. It has moved to Fibre only which i was not expecting. I had taken plastics so ended up paying £65 for a slab of cheap fibres. Not ideal.

It is a good ground with some interesting stands. On the plus side the birds over the lake are super. On the negative side a lot is built around banked enclosures which makes them a little repetitious.

The shop is very good. Its easy to look around. The cafe is super - Pre-covid I would have gone to the ground just for breakfast. In April it was eat outdoors only. The food is good and a nice view over the lakes from the tables.

It is definitely worth a visit. Kibworth is better.

25 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Why is claymate expensive please?

I suppose it depends what youre used to, and since Cocketts have now gone over to claymate , its sort of nullified my argument , however, lets look at it this way.

Brandon is £15 per 50 clays, 30p per clay, however , you can 'see' a pair (or two) for no extra cost, a no bird is no issue , just take them again.

Langar is £7.50 for a 34 bird sporting , at 22p a clay, not got the facilities of the big grounds , but again , no issue with no birds or see ers.
Both grounds based on trust.

The last time I went to Lakeside was around 2 years ago , it was 30 p a clay then on the claymate system , and Ill wager its gone up since then ?
You pay for your seen birds, and although they will knock off no birds, they always used to look at you suspiciously when you told them.
If by chance , someone wasnt ready/ left safety on ect and the bird gets launched, youre paying for it , it might not be a lot, but there is no leeway.
Yes , I know the ground has to pay for them, but at around 7p a clay , there is a decent margin.

All I know , is when I go to grounds with claymate, and shoot the same amount of clays as one thats based on trust , its a more expensive day out, not a huge amount , maybe 20 % more.
lll go to Lakeside again, like I say , its not a bad place at all.

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

To me, the great thing about Lakeside is that you can shoot what you want. You don’t have to have a 34 bird sporting or a 50 bird layout. If you want to shoot everything on one stand, say, all rabbits, that’s fine.

Very much so , and also with the timer , you dont need a button man/woman.

If you shot every stand  there , all your pocket money would be gone in a couple of hours :lol:

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I suppose it depends what youre used to, and since Cocketts have now gone over to claymate , its sort of nullified my argument , however, lets look at it this way.

Brandon is £15 per 50 clays, 30p per clay, however , you can 'see' a pair (or two) for no extra cost, a no bird is no issue , just take them again.

Langar is £7.50 for a 34 bird sporting , at 22p a clay, not got the facilities of the big grounds , but again , no issue with no birds or see ers.
Both grounds based on trust.

The last time I went to Lakeside was around 2 years ago , it was 30 p a clay then on the claymate system , and Ill wager its gone up since then ?
You pay for your seen birds, and although they will knock off no birds, they always used to look at you suspiciously when you told them.
If by chance , someone wasnt ready/ left safety on ect and the bird gets launched, youre paying for it , it might not be a lot, but there is no leeway.
Yes , I know the ground has to pay for them, but at around 7p a clay , there is a decent margin.

All I know , is when I go to grounds with claymate, and shoot the same amount of clays as one thats based on trust , its a more expensive day out, not a huge amount , maybe 20 % more.
lll go to Lakeside again, like I say , its not a bad place at all.

Hi are you sure you are talking about Lakeside? The clay price today for none members is I am sure 28p and that's the dearest its been in the five or so years I have shot there!

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Hi are you sure you are talking about Lakeside? The clay price today for none members is I am sure 28p and that's the dearest its been in the five or so years I have shot there!

Definitely Lakeside! 

99% positive it was 30 p a clay the 3 times we went? 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's about time we rallied the troops and planned a morning at Lakeside when the weather is better next year.

I'm up for that!