Why have I got the urge ?

30-6

Because plinking with an air rifle is ( in England at least, compared to Scotland ) the simplest form of shooting there is, as Ultrastu has said. 
I have a very old Webley? Springer .177 leaning up against the wall in the studio. It’s never been used since the kids outgrew it. It’s worthless, but it still works and I won’t get rid. 

Bean tin ?, I thought a shaken coke can was mandatory, or am I thinking of a  .17 hmr if no melons are available ?

I have owned springers and gas ram as follows, not in order.

Milbro G23, BSA meteor, relum tornado, BSA carbine airsporter, Webley mk3, BSA excocet, theoben countryman, theoben fenman. 

Currently use aa s200 and aa s410 xtra FAC. and an old gamo for trap caught pests when needed.

The above comments are spot on. Simplicity and child hood memories.

My friend has got for his son a gamo swarm. I set it up for him and he's knocking over squirrels no problem. We tried various pellets and good old wasp came out best, with bisley gold second.

Nice thumbhole stock, took off the 10 shot adapter but the silly shaped shrouded silencer spoils its look for me.  

44 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

My friend has got for his son a gamo swarm. I set it up for him and he's knocking over squirrels no problem. We tried various pellets and good old wasp came out best, with bisley gold second.

Nice thumbhole stock, took off the 10 shot adapter but the silly shaped shrouded silencer spoils its look for me.  

Why did he remove the repeater system if you don’t mind me asking?

8 hours ago, London Best said:

Happiness is an old springer and a bean tin.

This  and ,Any springer and a bean tin .  

I left the pcp's at home today, had a wonder around the farm , with the HW95K .177 (Sandwell Field Sports ) .  Didn't even see a squirrel , but had some great

fun shooting twigs etc , and no  worries about running out of air.   Note to self ;    Must do this more !

Rimfireboy - Two reasons the 10 shot adapter was removed.

Firstly, we agreed it looked horrible and done the appearance of the rifle no favours, and secondly, in the introduction to it in the leaflet that comes with the rifle there was a paragraph on how to unjam it. It seemed they were admitting pellet jams were inevitable. The barrel shroud to me looks horrible also. 

The model if I remember is the whisper swarm. I set it up for him on bench bags and explained the correct hold techniques, and like mentioned earlier he's taking squirrels OK.

The thumbhole stock gives a very comfortable hold.

I consider myself very lucky to have just about all the guns i will ever need or want from co2 pistols to high end 12 bore shotguns ,but when the day comes that i cant find room in the cabinet for a decent .177 springer i'll give the game up . Present springer is a .177 Air arms prosport.

Bell target, the oldest form of airgun target shooting. The first league that can be reliably traced back is the Lord Ednum Trophy, first awarded in 1896. There are endless debates about which is the oldest still going - covid has taken a massive toll on the discipline with the loss of so many venues and the restrictions placed on intermingling with other people. In its heyday of between the two world wars there were more people participating in bell target shooting than any other activity, including football. If you think how much smaller Birmingham was in 1920 than it is today, and then realise there were over 1200 CLUBS in Brum alone.... gives you an idea.

Bell target was, and still is, shot in pubs and working mens clubs, instead of a pool table the pub would have a bell target on the wall, sometimes at the end of the skittle alley, and a pellet vending machine on another wall. Instead of asking for the pool cue and chalk, you would ask for the rifle, which was kept behind the bar, not many people had their own back then. 1d in the vending machine would give you 8 pellets, 2 sighters and 6 to score. The rifles were underlever BSAs with a loading tap, the Lincoln Jefferies design, using a V sight and post and the league standard was a 4lb trigger pull. Pubs would shoot against each other, just like a darts league works, and the away matches were always a huge social event for the participants often going together by horse and cart, especially the village teams. The winners would get a lamb supper and a flagon of ale to share. 

There is nothing like airgun shooting for sheer accessibility, satisfaction and enjoyment.

Edited by Accuspell

OldyPP

Had a look around the web, Air Arms and Weihrauch fancying but do I want to spend the asking prices ?

The BSA supersport looks nice. Reviews on BSA with gas rams are pretty poor.

I want to support local dealers so really need to go and have a handle of some, but whether they would have the ones I fancy will have to see. A lot will order for you but better to handle.

I just want something I can just grab and be ready, as opposed to my pcp's which require magazine filling etc.

Get something a little older then, that has done all the depreciation and is going to be just as good, if not better better than, a newer model. Especially in the spring camp. I am sure there will be some really nice, used, airguns in your dealer's rack.  HW98 or 95, 99s is good but needs deburring if new - a used one will probably have been done. The 77 / 97 depending on stock configuration, same rifle, is a long standing stalwart. Air Arms TX200 or pro Sport, if you finda Pro Elite please tell me, I have been looking for one for ages, preferably not in .177 though.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by Accuspell

3 hours ago, 30-6 said:

OldyPP

Had a look around the web, Air Arms and Weihrauch fancying but do I want to spend the asking prices ?

The BSA supersport looks nice. Reviews on BSA with gas rams are pretty poor.

I want to support local dealers so really need to go and have a handle of some, but whether they would have the ones I fancy will have to see. A lot will order for you but better to handle.

I just want something I can just grab and be ready, as opposed to my pcp's which require magazine filling etc.

Hello, I can understand what you mean if it's just plinking in the garden , hope you find something suitable👍