old man

I really do not see a problem. Whatever is done there will still be idiots about. Pity they didn't pop him and save the country some money.  Obviously had a great upbringing as his father says it was down to the isolation due to lockdowns.  Not his fault of course.

Of course I am assuming you were suggesting they maybe should be licensed ?????   Then where do we stop licensing things that can kill you ...garden forks ????

He just needs some counselling, sit him down and have a chat with him. 

I knew 1 dipstick fire one too close to his parents car, went through the drivers door, i think it ended up as a suppository. 

I'v always said id rather have someone fire a shotgun at me at 100yds than a cross bow, and shotguns require a licence. 

A murderer used a crossbow on Anglesey recently. It seems an anomaly that these can be owned without licence when they are far more dangerous in the wrong hands than lots of other things. But then again, they're slow to reload and I daresay take a bit of skill to shoot accurately. And the usual arguments about other weapons being available also apply. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51675341

They seem a slightly pointless thing in the UK anyway, given that you can't hunt with them and most archery clubs aren't great fans of them. It does seem a bit ridiculous how easy they are to get hold of compared to the amount of damage you can inflict. I imagine there's a bit of social stigma attached to them and you can still kill someone with a compound bow, but it seems more unlikely somehow. Plus crossbows deliver way more power than almost any compound bow

51 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

They are immensely powerful things, often wondered how they have escaped the nanny state so long. 

UK air rifle energy limit is 12ft/lb. Crossbows can deliver 100ft/lb+ comfortably. It does seem to be a bit of an oversight!

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I really do not see a problem. Whatever is done there will still be idiots about. Pity they didn't pop him and save the country some money.  Obviously had a great upbringing as his father says it was down to the isolation due to lockdowns.  Not his fault of course.

Of course I am assuming you were suggesting they maybe should be licensed ?????   Then where do we stop licensing things that can kill you ...garden forks ????

I don't see a problem either sir, the authorities should vigorously pursue the perpetrators not remove further freedoms from the law abiding.

Ones who want bans/restrictions maybe should consider some pf their ownership may be next?

10 hours ago, old man said:

Thoughts on the triggering situatio

Hello I think you may be referring to what has been called “Shane’s Crossbow Law” this is in memory of Shane Gilmer who was killed on 12/13 January 2018, who was murdered by a neighbour in  Driffield Yorkshire, the petition was started by his partner Laura Sugden who was also injured by a crossbow bolt.
This was a neighbour dispute in which the victims had complained about the smell of cannabis coming from the adjoining neighbours house. The neighbour armed with a crossbow and especially modified bolts had climbed through the communal loft space and waited in the bedroom of Gilmer and Sugden and upon their arrival home attacked them.

The murderer was found dead two days later in a lay-by. He had previously threatened the couple with an axe. He was served with an eviction notice due to his cannabis production prior to this incident.

A very sad state of affairs indeed. 

It is this public petition which has been looked into again in light of the intruder at Windsor Castle. 

Hope this helps answer your questions Old Man, regards Rookandrabbit.