Ending the year with a bang

the hitman

Hi was unable to get out yesterday which was a shame as the conditions were perfect- however I did do a small recce and was itching to get out this morning. The pigeons had moved to another field not to far from where I spotted them yesterday- the problem was that I would have to walk the length of 2 football pitches to get to where they wanted to be. I was set up at 9.45 after pushing about 500 birds off the field. There was a proper westerly blowing and after a 20 minute downpour the pigeons begin to return. It was a case of 20 minutes action then 20 mins waiting. There was an initial reluctance to commit to the decoys, however by 11.30 I had exchanged all the sillosocks  for 15 dead birds and 2 on the magnet. A flock of about 150 pigeons kept making an appearance, so I let them in before gently making my presence known, they would carry on into the wind, every time at least 3 would spin around for a second look and I made my presence known in a more noisy way- both barrels.

I spent a lot of time looking at an empty sky, however everything that came near decoyed so I kept picking away. It was a real mix of singles and groups of 6- 10 which gave me some nice left and rights.
At 1.45 it had that end of day feel- so I decided that I would shoot one more pigeon or pack up at 2pm -whichever came first- it was a pigeon straight into the decoys, and that was the last pigeon I shot this year.

I had 40 pigeons and the walk back to the car needed 2 trips across a very muddy field- I hate this getting old malarkey.

I would like it wish everyone a healthy and happy new year.

6A0E397B-EAC3-4FA1-9774-0668DE488DF2.jpeg

AA6CBDFB-0A56-4BB4-B330-A907B8CB116C.png

17A10EA7-EC00-4E13-ABC0-EB5B024BCA81.jpeg

Lovely way to say good by to 2021 , unbelievable weather , a good wind and looking at your first photo you have certainly got a lot of Pigeons , we had a walk round our Pigeon land yesterday while trying to push up a few Pheasants for my old boss and his friends and we only saw about 80 / 100 Pigeons on one of the rape fields .

As a foot note , the best shot of the morning was a young lad who shot the only Pigeon of the day and this one was in the clouds , a shot he will remember for years to come .

All the best for the NEW YEAR hitman and THANKS for sharing your days with us .

Edited by marsh man

18 minutes ago, JDog said:

A productive session.

If you are out on Sunday 9th let me know and you can show me how it is done .

I don’t think you need any advice- I have sent you a PM 

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Lovely way to say good by to 2021 , unbelievable weather , a good wind and looking at your first photo you have certainly got a lot of Pigeons , we had a walk round our Pigeon land yesterday while trying to push up a few Pheasants for my old boss and his friends and we only saw about 80 / 100 Pigeons on one of the rape fields .

As a foot note , the best shot of the morning was a young lad who shot the only Pigeon of the day and this one was in the clouds , a shot he will remember for years to come .

All the best for the NEW YEAR hitman and THANKS for sharing your days with us .

Hi MM

Nice report- definitely a shot the young fella will remember.

Thank you for your shooting reports this year always a good read.