A Request Was Honoured

marsh man

This thread started about three weeks ago when I had one of my rare trips up town to get some Christmas cards and draw a few bob out of the bank , after the deeds were done I was enjoying a nice cup of strong tea off the market stall when I bumped into a ole fowling friend who I hadn't seen for a number of years and to be honest I thought his time was up and he had been laid out with the bag , but no he was still about and now well past the sell by date , we soon got yarning about the ( good ) ole days when we first met each other while decoying a few Curlew on a warm Septembers night, after we drank our tea he said , are you still chasing them ole duck about ? , yea I keep having a little go and I still shoot the same marshes where we used to bump into each other from time to time , well I never he said , what about all these geese that are about , do you ever get any ? , yea I keep getting the odd one if I want a goose , or if I know someone who want one , well if you manage to get one at any time I would love one , well my friend if I do get one before the season ends it will be yours , as he had to go and get his bus and I had only 90 minutes free parking near the Town Hall we said our goodbye's and left it at that .

Moving on three weeks to yesterday , I had a invite the night before to see if I wanted a walk round the estate for a mornings rough shooting , I agreed straight away and said I will just bring my dog and pick up whatever is shot , we met at 9.30 and walked some fodder beet fields and some rough places that are not included in the main shoot , had a lovely morning with a fair bit of walking and my dog enjoyed picking up a few Pheasants and the only Pigeon shot .

We were only going to be out till dinner time and true to there word we were done by 1.30 , time we parted company and the short journey back I was home by 2pm , unlike a full shooting day I had plenty of time for a rest and a cuppa before I ventured out again , , after watching a bit of Dickersons real deal it was soon time to head off out again , my plan for the night was going down towards the bypass on the marshes where I have got sole rights , these are now flooded and good for the odd Mallard , I have had all the other duck from time to time but I think the bright lights from the bypass put them off , the beauty of it is I don't have to worry about anyone getting there before me and I can leave them alone as long as I want , these are not any good for geese and I have shot geese nearby on the uplands but not on the marshes where I was heading for .

Looking at my watch it was getting on for four and still fairly light so I didn't have to rush walking the four marshes to get to my spot , the weather was mild , dry with a bit of cloud cover and a stiff breeze , which was ideal for seeing when the light go , getting to my spot between two very large splashes I sat on my fold up stool near a bramble bush waiting till it got a bit darker .

While sitting on my stool I thought I could hear the faint sound of geese over the noise from the industrial site , after straining my ears the sound was getting louder but I still couldn't see any , then looking towards the sea I could finally make out two big skiens , at the time I saw them they were three or four gun shots high and heading way over the town , I am pretty sure that once they saw all the flooded marshes and darkness was not far off they made a turn and started to call out to see if any had all ready found a friendly marsh for the night , I had plenty of time to change shells for a couple of 36gm 3s that are kept in my zipped up inside pocket for a situation like this.

When they first started to cross the marshes they were still a good two gun shots high and way out of my limits , then they started to battle against the wind and getting lower all the while , my cap was pulled down when a good hundred yds out and then I judged  them to be nearly above me , and sure enough they were around 50 yds above me , I was sitting down and took one slightly in front of me , and what seemed like a split second I could see it leaving his next door neighbour and coming down to earth , what was a first for me was I didn't use my second cartridge to try and take another one out ,(a) they had flaired up to more or less out of range and it might had been needed after the first shot and ( b ) was I only wanted one , my dog had it back in seconds and I couldn't believe my luck that all I expected was a shot at a Mallard or so .

Anyway after the excitement was over it switch on time for duck , I wont bore you with in's and outs but time it was pitch dark I had two Mallard one Gadwall and a fine plump Pink Foot that will be with my forgotten friend in a few days time .

THANKS for reading and A Happy And Safe New Year to each and everyone .

PS the photo was taken tonight and it was gone four o clock when I took one of the sunset , a very clear sky and I never had a shot , never mind , another year start tomorrow and way we go again :drinks:

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

Many THANKS for all your kind words and also to young Conor for ending the year on a high as well , I don't think it will be many days into the new year before he get his first one of 2022.

When I reached my 65th birthday I began to give some of the mornings a miss and tried to wean myself from doing most evening flights this was far easier said than done , so I extended my Pigeon shooting ( season ) well into September and started fowling early October , this was ideal but for wild fowling October is one of the quiet months so I then started a bit later until  my 70th was looming up , after reaching the old allocated time I kept saying to myself I will give it one more season , now with my 75th birthday on the horizon and feeling reasonably well after my Hernia op in the Summer I will no doubt give it one more season when we have to pay the subs in the early Summer . knowing you can go on the various land if you wanted to is far better than the other way round, so I will chip away into my grand daughters  inheritance and see what 2022 bring in these very unhealthy times .

All the best everyone and above all STAY SAFE .        MM

Thank you John. Fingers crossed for Conor in the morning. As I've posted before we are not allowed to put pictures up or write about we we shoot which is a shame as i took some pictures of Conor with the Pink and pup also of the pup retrieving the Pink 

You have a very good end to the season and hope you have many more years to come John. If things go as planned myself and Conor will be around your area next season so will definitely have to meet you in person. Take care and good health

29 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Thank you John. Fingers crossed for Conor in the morning. As I've posted before we are not allowed to put pictures up or write about we we shoot which is a shame as i took some pictures of Conor with the Pink and pup also of the pup retrieving the Pink 

You have a very good end to the season and hope you have many more years to come John. If things go as planned myself and Conor will be around your area next season so will definitely have to meet you in person. Take care and good health

Cheers Brad ... If the good lord spare me for another year, I will be only to pleased to show you around the area and the likely places where you could add to your long list of Grey geese .

Over the last few seasons the geese are now heading to every point of the compass when they leave the roosting grounds in the mornings , at one time they would head North to North West , now I see them most mornings crossing the estuary well up and making there way South , this could be good news to the North Suffolk W A boys and it wont be long before we hear about the odd one bagged as far south in Essex .

My main marshes are on the South side of the estuary and the geese are now seen fairly regular dropping on some of the flooded fields , but as you well know, you need to be in the right place at the right time and there is no set pattern to there habits , and as I have already said our marshes on the South side are nearly five miles long so lady luck need to play it's part, mind you , if you can spend the time and know the signs to look for like goose droppings around the splashes on the grazing marshes you are part of the way in securing one or two .

If you have only got limited time then I would recommend the marshes on the North side , these are double the size of the South ones and once you have done your homework you will see geese every day of the week , you can then use your vast amount of knowledge to put yourself in the most likely position with the on going weather conditions and whatever marshes are at your disposal . GOOD LUCK 

John that is a very kind offer that myself and Conor would eagerly except and be a pleasure to us both to meet you in person. Conor is already very excited about next season I'm sure you are very aware of his dream which he hopes with hard work along with luck to achieve next season Fingers crossed . Thank you again 👍

12 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Fantastic MM I’ve said it before you should look into getting some of them tales put on paper mate Just brilliant 👍👍👍👍

Cheers Gerry and a Happy New Year .

How is your season going on the other side of the wide ( dyke ) in N / Ireland ?, hope your getting a fair bit of sport .

By the amount of shooting I hear on the surrounding marshes we are having a average to a above average type of season , if anything we have far to much water on the marshes but looking at it the other way , I would sooner have to much than not enough , this could alter overnight if we got a cold spell but with the weather setting records for how mild it have been this at the moment seem very unlikely .

Still the fowl are about in decent numbers if you are prepared to venture out and try your luck , my first two duck of a new year are already on the score sheet after getting a pair of Mallard on Saturday night and tonight I will try some different marshes to see if any Widgeon are about , with only four weeks left I hope to get a few more before we say good bye to another inland season :good:.    GOOD LUCK

I`ve only just seen your post of 31st. December John and what a lovely story it is. I normally look out for the avator of your dog Bobbie, knowing that there will be a good story there to be told and have never been disappointed and so it was this time.

We are all still awaiting that book of all your exploits afield but I suppose that we will have to make do with those wonderful tales on PW. More of the same please.

A very Happy New Year to you and Ann and good luck for the rest of the season.

OB

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Cheers Gerry and a Happy New Year .

How is your season going on the other side of the wide ( dyke ) in N / Ireland ?, hope your getting a fair bit of sport .

By the amount of shooting I hear on the surrounding marshes we are having a average to a above average type of season , if anything we have far to much water on the marshes but looking at it the other way , I would sooner have to much than not enough , this could alter overnight if we got a cold spell but with the weather setting records for how mild it have been this at the moment seem very unlikely .

Still the fowl are about in decent numbers if you are prepared to venture out and try your luck , my first two duck of a new year are already on the score sheet after getting a pair of Mallard on Saturday night and tonight I will try some different marshes to see if any Widgeon are about , with only four weeks left I hope to get a few more before we say good bye to another inland season :good:.    GOOD LUCK

Thanks MM and happy New Year to yourself I haven’t been out believe it or not since the end of October due to family commitments I’m hopefully gonna get out next week The reports I’m receiving from some of the Fowler’s I hunt with is the ducks were we hunt have been few and far between There opinion and mine too is over here on NI the weather been too mild But I’d be happy just to get out a morning with that old lab of mine 👍👍👍Hopefully you’ll get another few trips before the season ends good luck and keep posting them fantastic tales I look forward to them 👍👍