Prue Coats Pigeon Pie Recipe

Humblepie

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have the above recipe? I am going to see my 85 year old Dad next weekend and he always swore by Prue’s recipe but unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere online. He had a hand written copy of it which I presume he copied from Shooting Times but no longer has it.

I know there are other pigeon pie recipes on here but it would be great if I could make the pies as authentic as possible for him.

Thanks

Or this one;

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/recipes/pigeon/prues-coats-pigeon-and-tangerine-casserole-9088

A casserole dish is a fantastic way to cook pigeon because the slow cooking, with plenty of liquid, makes for a more tender meat. It’s a particularly good recipe if you find pigeon to be a bit too chewy for your tastes.

This recipe serves 2

Ingredients:

4 oven-ready pigeons
4 tangerines, peeled
Butter for frying
2 shallots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and cut up
4 bacon rashers, cut up
110g/4oz small button mushrooms
1 tablespoon plain flour
110ml/4floz sherry or Madeira
Teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2. Stuff the birds with a tangerine. Brown in butter and remove to a casserole. Sauté the shallots, onion and bacon until pale gold, add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour and then add the sherry or Madeira and cook until it thickens. Pour over the pigeons and sprinkle on the salt, pepper and herbs. Cook for two to three hours, or until tender.