Finding shot in birds Pre-Processed

Dougy

Someone has to know on PW so here goes. 

I am making some Duck, Pheasant and Venison sausages and want to avoid as much shot as possible ending up in the finished product. 

I'm thinking of getting a metal detector pin-pointer, question is would this do what i want them to do and find any shot that ive failed to spot by feeling ? 

Yes , I'm fairly sure it would but it  could take you a while as it only covers a small area, if you are removing the meat from the carcass and just concentrating on the remaining flesh then it should work ok but decent ones are not cheap, the Garret ones seem to have a good reputation and they are around the £120 mark.

I go poking and prodding through the strike mark with a cocktail stick to see if there's anything there. If they are being made into sausages you can slice through where the marks are before putting into through the mincer

Edited by Rob85
Spelling

I'm hearing what i was thinking, i looked at the Garret, didn't really want to spend that much, £50 ish would be max.

Looking for individual wound tracks and poking with a cocktail stick on 15-20lb would take some time, hence the idea of metal detector. 

My sausages certainly wont be cooked in any microwave 😉

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you would not need to spend £50 on a pin pointer, although mine is a garret this will detect on the whole pointy bit , there's is one that lots of detector people use I will check up and let you know, 

Hello, search for a GP 360 pin pointer , that's what many buy on the MDF forum, there's some U tube videos, about £15 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 01/01/2022 at 18:21, Dougy said:

I'm hearing what i was thinking, i looked at the Garret, didn't really want to spend that much, £50 ish would be max.

Looking for individual wound tracks and poking with a cocktail stick on 15-20lb would take some time, hence the idea of metal detector. 

My sausages certainly wont be cooked in any microwave 😉

You have probably broken it already bud?

The Orange thing arrived today, just need to check it will find #5 shot now, if not i'll have to put a request in the guns start using SSG next season. 

@old man We have a new one as it happens but Mrs D has absolutely no idea how it works either because she insisted on buying the one in Currys without a box because it was £20 cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Slice at any marks that are buised/got a hole and if in the unlikely event there are 1 or 2 that's where they will be mate, nice n easy

There's going to be too much with 10-15lb plus what i get the next few shoot days it will take ages to inspect every little bruise/hole, and once it gone through the mincer its too late. Its not that im bothered about swallowing the shot, its about the dental cost, so spending £50 on something that may reduce the cost of a broken tooth is worth it.  

To be honest I've made a lot of sausages from game and haven't had any shot in the final product. I normally make 40lbs or so in a go. The key being prep. I tend to only use breast and mostly (99%) of the shot has passed thru the breast into the cavity or gone straight thru the whole bird. Occasionally I wonder how the bird died to start with.  A metal detector might not be a bad idea  and it can't hurt but I'd want to be make a lot more to justify it.