Who's a pretty boy then!

Accuspell

We had a similar situation with the Collard Dove , first seen in the mid 50s by a postman I believe around these parts , the numbers soon started to rise and we had 100s of them around grain stores and silos , these were pretty good eating and not bad sport , now , by no means rare we have only a fraction of the numbers we once had , maybe these ( new ) aliens might go the same way ?

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have only ever seen one loan parrakeet in norfolk...proberly an escapee..........at least the good thing is ..they tend to be a flock bird....thus if controlled they will be easier to locate and dispatch.........i have heard they will invade peoples gardens / feeding sites and create total destruction....

we would like more infomation on this outing of yours please :good:..it is something we all need to be aware of ...

A few have made it into Suffolk

11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Is that a recent picture  .I have a feeling I've seen it before .a few years ago ? 

I did an article on the day for Airgun Shooter. I was a regular correspondent for the magazine, doing the pellet test each month, some classic gun pieces (The Gunroom) and the Behind the Scenes pieces in the early years where I went and interviewed and photographed notably people or companies in the airgun industry. I have written/photographed for the shooting, fishing and hunting magazines as a full time job since 1985.

Now we are over the shock of seeing a bag like that in the U K , can we have more details about who, and how you go about shooting them in the first place ?

Can you shoot them with or without a licence ?

Do you decoy them , or shoot them up the trees .

Somehow I don't think I would be keeping my s g c long if my neighbour saw me shooting the only one seen in our area with a air rifle , so how would we stand , not that I want to shoot any , just curious :hmm:

34 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

THANKS for that Walked Up , plenty of bed time reading there , be just my luck in shooting someone's prized Parrot that is worth a small fortune and I get sued for damages , no thanks I will stick to wild fowl and W / Pigeons. :good:

27 minutes ago, marsh man said:

THANKS for that Walked Up , plenty of bed time reading there , be just my luck in shooting someone's prized Parrot that is worth a small fortune and I get sued for damages , no thanks I will stick to wild fowl and W / Pigeons. :good:

John i put a picture and write probably 3 seasons ago when i took Conor after the Rutting Fallow. We both shot several flighting them to feed on a friend's farm with shotguns. Very sporting testing shooting them each year i go with or without Conor after the Rutting Fallow ( mid to late October ) i either take or borrow my mate's shotgun and have a quick flight. Last October whilst trying to get into a Rutting Buck several flocks went screaming by ( in noise and speed ) causing lack of concentration 

4 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

John i put a picture and write probably 3 seasons ago when i took Conor after the Rutting Fallow. We both shot several flighting them to feed on a friend's farm with shotguns. Very sporting testing shooting them each year i go with or without Conor after the Rutting Fallow ( mid to late October ) i either take or borrow my mate's shotgun and have a quick flight. Last October whilst trying to get into a Rutting Buck several flocks went screaming by ( in noise and speed ) causing lack of concentration 

I would had thought that being in a agricultural area and with the right habitat we would had seen them by now in numbers , maybe they are already here in the forestry land around the Thetford area ? , funny enough , I have seen Two Sea Eagles ( maybe the same one twice ) to one of the Parrot family , mind you , I think we are a long way away from being over run with Sea Eagles .:lol:

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I would had thought that being in a agricultural area and with the right habitat we would had seen them by now in numbers , maybe they are already here in the forestry land around the Thetford area ? , funny enough , I have seen Two Sea Eagles ( maybe the same one twice ) to one of the Parrot family , mind you , I think we are a long way away from being over run with Sea Eagles .

John on my friends farm they nest in small numbers then when ( i believe this to be the right name ) his wild bird mix and maze is ripe hundreds turn up from the London strong holds. I also know they do damage to fruit trees ( fruit )

On 01/01/2022 at 22:30, Accuspell said:

Getting everywhere. 2 hours one morning overlooking their gathering post with my old Rapid 12/200 Tyrolean.

Parakeets.01.web.jpg

Great post thank you for posting. Is it a 12ft lb rifle or FAC? I’m also interested in how you managed such a great bag. As in the technique used. 

Edited by BinaryB

On 03/01/2022 at 21:18, 6.5x55SE said:

John on my friends farm they nest in small numbers then when ( i believe this to be the right name ) his wild bird mix and maze is ripe hundreds turn up from the London strong holds. I also know they do damage to fruit trees ( fruit )

They are totally destructive. The fruit farm I shot those on lost 95% of the crop to them. In the spring they eat the buds of the blossom, then in the autumn just as the apples (other fruit too) is ripening, they don't eat an apple, they take a bite out before moving on to the next. They congregate in the morning comeing off the roost before going to the feeding zone, then in the evening they have social gathering places before going off to roost. These are the places to target, the communal social gathering spots, rather than the feeding places.

Yes, they decoy, a friend has had good success with a couple of 'magnum' parakeet decoys, these are magpie decoys he has painted two tone green with red beaks and a rings on their necks. Once you have a few, set them out just like you would pigeons.  Range from my hide to the tree was about 30 yards. They seem to be quite fixated, but they will soon learn if you over shoot the tree. Shoot it hard one morning from before light, then leave it for a couple of months at least before shooting again - far better to find another intercept, in the evening for a second go. Make sure you have plenty of air, when they come you will have an hor or so of rapid, hectic shooting.1646387932_Settingoutshotbirdsasdecoystodrawmoreintothesafearcoffire.LOWRES.jpg.80b87c6eaa3725cdf527635369f289b4.jpg

Edited by Accuspell

On 08/01/2022 at 00:22, Accuspell said:

They are totally destructive. The fruit farm I shot those on lost 95% of the crop to them. In the spring they eat the buds of the blossom, then in the autumn just as the apples (other fruit too) is ripening, they don't eat an apple, they take a bite out before moving on to the next. They congregate in the morning comeing off the roost before going to the feeding zone, then in the evening they have social gathering places before going off to roost. These are the places to target, the communal social gathering spots, rather than the feeding places.

Yes, they decoy, a friend has had good success with a couple of 'magnum' parakeet decoys, these are magpie decoys he has painted two tone green with red beaks and a rings on their necks. Once you have a few, set them out just like you would pigeons.  Range from my hide to the tree was about 30 yards. They seem to be quite fixated, but they will soon learn if you over shoot the tree. Shoot it hard one morning from before light, then leave it for a couple of months at least before shooting again - far better to find another intercept, in the evening for a second go. Make sure you have plenty of air, when they come you will have an hor or so of rapid, hectic shooting.1646387932_Settingoutshotbirdsasdecoystodrawmoreintothesafearcoffire.LOWRES.jpg.80b87c6eaa3725cdf527635369f289b4.jpg

Great write up mate 👍