Long, wet retrieve

WalkedUp

As discussed in the Versatile Gundog thread the apprentice had her first weekend as top dog. She had excelled. This video was a very long mallard drake, I shot it a long way out and it folded well into the far bank across the channel. It needs to be played in high quality or everything is too fuzzy to see  the action.

31C447DE-1708-43A6-9AC4-4D40C221E756.jpeg

Nice retrieve,

looks a lovely dog 👍

its hard for them not to shake when they come out of the water, does she shake on command.

Will have to try and record some of our 2 on the 8th only problem is we wont put ours over the river after ducks if its running too high, the shoot made this decision early on in the season. 

My older dog is trained to shake on command but she isn’t, she’s just trained not to shake until the bird is handed over.

She lost an imaginary point for repositioning the bird, but considering it was a runner and fighting all the way back it was acceptable to me to get a better hold as soon as she could. 

In terms of the water, I will call them off a retrieve if I feel it is getting dangerous however it’s impossible to shoot the channel on the tide (proper wild fowling) without a dog that can get on in some tough currents. I’ve never rated her swimming as strong or stylish like my other diss, but I’m confident in her ability to read the flow and keep safe. We started at 5.45am this morning to flight under the stars and before high tide, the birds shot then made easy retrieves but terrible photographs! 

The two likes in my life when it comes to shooting is , watching good shots performing on some of our game shoots or anyone elses , and the other one is watching dogs doing a good retrieve , like the average shot , some are run of the mill shots that you soon forget and then you pull off a excellent shot that stick in the memory bank for ages , I believe this is the same for retrieves , sometimes I knock a duck down that jumped out of the dyke and fell on the other side , to an experience dog it is just a matter of crossing the dyke , picking it up and coming back over , I am sure the dog know it as well , then you get a similar situation like your drake Mallard where your not sure your dog is going to find it , then after a lot of hunting about and using the wind for his advantage he finally come across it .

One thing I have noticed with my dog is , his tail is wagging more when he have found a good runner than when at the end of the drive he just go and scoop up a few dead ones that are lying about .

Another thing I believe in is ,  when he have worked to his upmost and still can't find what he is looking for is how disappointed he look , a bit like me really and I am sure he know my ways as well as I know his , and when it comes to gundogs that is the way it should be .

THANKS for sharing and the video came over loud and clear :good: 

• 1 month later...