Found a painting in the attic time to retire?

johnnythefox70

Hi Jonnythefox

Have a look at the attached file here https://www.invaluable.com/artist/mason-roy-martell-vpmj9azchy/sold-at-auction-prices/

It has a large number of paintings by Roy Martell Mason, sold at auction.  Scroll down to Lot 248 and Lot 249 and you will see his signature is very much as per your painting.  He seems to have been quite a busy painter (!).  Values are shown on his works, so will give you some idea.

Good luck !!

P.S The only thing is that your painting seems not to follow the type of works he created, lot of waterfowl, shooting etc, and very American settings.  Your painting looks more like the European Alps to me !  Maybe he was on holiday :) 

Edited by stockybasher
Afterthought !

Looking at the signature on the authors original post, Although it's not clearly legible I think you can at least discern 6 separate characters in the surname.

Also, as @stockybasher says, the content of the painting is a bit out of the normal genre for Roy Mason.

For these reasons, I think the best guess so far would be Roy Manson. In one of my previous posts, I attached a photo of one of Manson's paintings and the signature on it closely resembles the one on the author's post, plus it is a landscape containing a building, so would be the more in keeping with the subject matter. 

Another poster, @billytheghillie suggests it may have been Roy Orbison who painted it, but I  don't think that's "workin for the man"     

Edited by Tonka54

Hi all and a big thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I too think its a Roy Manson. Ive zoomed in a bit on the signature and it certainly looks very similar.

I have been doing a bit of research on the old guy we bought the house from and he was in the Raf around 1960 working as an engineer so must have travelled a bit.

9C5FF3D0-3266-4480-BE85-4AA36BBEFADA.jpeg

Edited by johnnythefox70