Beretta 686

Neil23

The "S" stands for sovrapposta which is Italian for superposed which is the word Browning coined way back for over/under.

IDK the exact number but  there were various versions of the 686S including a multichoke sporter. Sometimes badged as S686 + a name like Special or as 686S the main action and barrels were much the same During the 1990s the 686S guns were rebadged as the 686 Silver pigeon which again came in various versions such as Silver Pigeon S or C or SC... I doubt if anyone has a conclusive guide to all the variations of the original 686 Silver Pigeon but about 10 years ago the Silver Pigeon 1 was released with modern barrels and in either game and sporter configuration.

The action design has hardly  changed since the 686 was born, but they moved from forged internal parts requiring some hand fitting to investment castings around the time the Silver Pigeon came along. 

14 hours ago, Scully said:

My 686s was lighter than a 686, like a game gun as compared to a sporter. It had fixed chokes and a solid mid rib, again like a game gun. The only other difference was that the panels on the stock behind the action were smooth. 

1 hour ago, Westward said:

The "S" stands for sovrapposta which is Italian for superposed which is the word Browning coined way back for over/under.

IDK the exact number but  there were various versions of the 686S including a multichoke sporter. Sometimes badged as S686 + a name like Special or as 686S the main action and barrels were much the same During the 1990s the 686S guns were rebadged as the 686 Silver pigeon which again came in various versions such as Silver Pigeon S or C or SC... I doubt if anyone has a conclusive guide to all the variations of the original 686 Silver Pigeon but about 10 years ago the Silver Pigeon 1 was released with modern barrels and in either game and sporter configuration.

The action design has hardly  changed since the 686 was born, but they moved from forged internal parts requiring some hand fitting to investment castings around the time the Silver Pigeon came along. 

Thanks for that ..very helpful. So quite similar to one another 

IIRC Quite a lot of the parts are shared between a 686 and a silver pigeon.

my memory could be wrong but the 686 was produced in a model called the 686 silver pigeon over time the 686 disappeared and it became known as the silver pigeon. 

my 1980s 686 has had a hard lose but go to game gun when walking the woods !

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

my memory could be wrong but the 686 was produced in a model called the 686 silver pigeon over time the 686 disappeared and it became known as the silver pigeon. 

Agriv8

All canny guns though all the same yes ?

There are so many variations of the specs on the Silver Pigeons that the you can only be certain about the ones you or your mates own. For example, from the early 2000s the versions were Silver Pigeon 1, SP2, SP3, SP4 and SP5. Everything above the SP1 was designated 687. The sporters had Optima barrels and the game guns had Mobil barrels. Then there was the 687 Gold Pigeon and topping off the range the 687 Diamond Pigeon. The main differences between them all were cosmetic as the 686 & 687 share the same action although the Diamond Pigeon sporter has the same barrels as the 682 Gold E competition gun. The Silver Pigeon 3 has been re-released and the Diamond Pigeon seems to have remained in production too. All the rest were canned around the time the current 686 Silver Pigeon 1 was released.

They're all pretty reliable and durable and there are plenty out there still going bang after many years and many thousands of rounds.

8 hours ago, Westward said:

There are so many variations of the specs on the Silver Pigeons that the you can only be certain about the ones you or your mates own. For example, from the early 2000s the versions were Silver Pigeon 1, SP2, SP3, SP4 and SP5. Everything above the SP1 was designated 687. The sporters had Optima barrels and the game guns had Mobil barrels. Then there was the 687 Gold Pigeon and topping off the range the 687 Diamond Pigeon. The main differences between them all were cosmetic as the 686 & 687 share the same action although the Diamond Pigeon sporter has the same barrels as the 682 Gold E competition gun. The Silver Pigeon 3 has been re-released and the Diamond Pigeon seems to have remained in production too. All the rest were canned around the time the current 686 Silver Pigeon 1 was released.

They're all pretty reliable and durable and there are plenty out there still going bang after many years and many thousands of rounds.

Interesting. Didnt relise there were that many.

When some say proofed for standard steel what is "standard" classed up to? It's just I was looking at a 686 special and it started that on the add.

• 1 month later...

Screenshot_20220127-012826_WhatsApp.jpg.0b26ef374b518e2b751ee4590143202b.jpg20220128_205749.jpg.857b320bc259650d47ba58ccfe7fae3e.jpg20220128_205725.jpg.186330723c09d875e1b35c6665ff9f25.jpg

On 04/01/2022 at 15:03, Agriv8 said:

Agriv8

On 03/01/2022 at 03:47, Scully said:

My 686s was lighter than a 686, like a game gun as compared to a sporter. It had fixed chokes and a solid mid rib, again like a game gun. The only other difference was that the panels on the stock behind the action were smooth. 

Got fixed up with a beretta 686s special for my son he loves it nice little gun