Cocker or springer ….

bevsy

Good evening guys, I am in the market for a new dog as my springer is coming up to 8yrs old. I’ve had two previous springers but I am contemplating a cocker. I am on two syndicates that are mainly walked up beat yourself type shoots and also pick up on another. I know it’s personal preference but what are the advantages / disadvantages over the two? Thanks 

I have had Cockers for the last 30 years but they have all been different characters, I have never had a Springer.  I would say either but buying from good lines is the most important thing.  My oldest Cocker has just passed on but my other is only 3 so I will probably wait until she is 8 or so before I get another.  If you are doing alot of walking up I would steer clear of hard core trialling lines, my first Cocker was from that type of line and whilst she would smash cover to bits she was hard to hold.

What kind of shooting do you do? What sort of ground? How long do you run them for? What retrieves are you wanting (woodcock, pheasant, goose etc?). 

1 minute ago, 222mark said:

Have you thought about a sprocker, best of both worlds.

If I cross a race horse with a plough horse will I have the strongest and fastest horse ever? 

I'm not sure that's quite how it works ... 

Had both at the same time, Cocker is amazing although strictly a sprocker, small c.  10 % springer.

my shooting is the same as yours.

Cockers - big hearts , very loving if a pet and will amaze you.

Be careful if you are a hard taskmaster though, they will hold grudges and sulk.

Working strain only.

10 minutes ago, 222mark said:

Have you thought about a sprocker, best of both worlds.

Or the worst!

bevsy, I regularly see both types working and there is very little,if any, difference in their abilities and performance. The same can be said for the faults. I think the trainer's ability is the most important aspect.

From my own experience with both types, I find the individual dogs characteristics are the most relevant factor. I would select either, based on my own preferences. Regards

Edited by benbobailey

27 minutes ago, bevsy said:

Thanks for the replies, mainly pheasant, duck and woodcock. Our cover is heavy in west wales and as I have only the one dog we are out for the day. 

I would get a Springer if I was you :) and I would make sure it was from lines that are worked in the type of places you want to hunt (hard going cover / woodcock dogs) as oppossed to rabbit dogs ran on reeds up North etc.