BARGAIN ON THE BAY

DUNKS

50 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

Apologies for being a pedent - th3 Nikon F3 was a 1980's camera - with i think some weird variations like the high speed version being made untill the early 2000's.

The Nikon F was the one your thinking about.

All good cameras though - the whole F range was excellent. I had a F4S and and F5 (still have the F5 somewhere)

I think Quite a few of us noticed that of course but thought it not even worth mentioning.

2 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Apologies for being a pedent - th3 Nikon F3 was a 1980's camera - with i think some weird variations like the high speed version being made untill the early 2000's.

The Nikon F was the one your thinking about.

All good cameras though - the whole F range was excellent. I had a F4S and and F5 (still have the F5 somewhere)

Hello, your right it was the F model, was that the starter model

13 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

used to have a display cabinet in our dining room with 10 or so classic 35mm cameras but the boss made me put them all away. 

There was a display at a kitchen place we went to,  any camera buffs would love it, I'll see if I can get them to send me a picture??

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Carry on regardless, it's the fascination with the minor points that make collectables all the more interesting.

Haha, ok - try me. I'm fairly good (broadly speaking) with everything Nikon F and Leica M - also know a little about Leica Screw, and Hasselblad V Systems.

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, your right it was the F model, was that the starter model

The 'Amateur' version of the Nikon F was originally the 'Nikkormat' line of cameras (that also saw a lot of pro use as the were just as - of not more sturdy than the F series cameras,  but didn't have removable prisms).  Thery were then supplanted by the 'FM' (manual) and 'FE' (you guessed it, electronic) cameras and the subsequent series FE2, etc). There was also an 'EM' that was positioned towards the very amateur end of the scale with no speed selection, other than a manual speed or two, and some shutter programs (from memory).

The lens series are non AI, AI and AIS. The non AI lenses had bunny ears on the aperture ring at the back to couple with the original F series (and Nikkormat series) light meters that used a sort if indexing prong so the meter in the prism knew what the lens was set at. This is why in veitnam era war films and period footage, anyone seen using a Nikon F and changing the lens, places the lens on the camera and after attaching it quickly turns the apature ring from one extreme to the other (so non AI = non automatic indexing). AI lenses came in with the F2 and retained the bunny ears (as did all future manual lenses) thereby providing decades worth of backwards compatability with the original system. The original non AI lenses could be fitted to any more modern cameras that were fitted with a little flip up bar type thing on the bayonet mount, thereby accommodating the sort of notch system thing that was part of the AI metering indexing system - but you could only use the light meter with stop down metering, which to be honest isn't really a problem. AIS lenses has some sort of program capability that allowed the lense to interact with the electronic program of the camera and AIP lenses were the same but more so. I don't have any eperiance with the AIP lenses, but with one or two exceptions the AIS lenses were otherwise largely the same as as their AI counterparts. There was also the 'E' lenses to go with the EM camera system that were aimed likewise at the bottom of the market.

As in the song.. video killed the radio star, and digital killed the 35mm film camera. When digital first came out, I remember the owner of a camera shop in maidstone bought a simple one and tried it out over a weekend and he told me that it was the end of film cameras and camera shops. He wasn't far wrong. 

7 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Haha, ok - try me. I'm fairly good (broadly speaking) with everything Nikon F and Leica M - also know a little about Leica Screw, and Hasselblad V Systems.

The 'Amateur' version of the Nikon F was originally the 'Nikkormat' line of cameras (that also saw a lot of pro use as the were just as - of not more sturdy than the F series cameras,  but didn't have removable prisms).  Thery were then supplanted by the 'FM' (manual) and 'FE' (you guessed it, electronic) cameras and the subsequent series FE2, etc). There was also an 'EM' that was positioned towards the very amateur end of the scale with no speed selection, other than a manual speed or two, and some shutter programs (from memory).

The lens series are non AI, AI and AIS. The non AI lenses had bunny ears on the aperture ring at the back to couple with the original F series (and Nikkormat series) light meters that used a sort if indexing prong so the meter in the prism knew what the lens was set at. This is why in veitnam era war films and period footage, anyone seen using a Nikon F and changing the lens, places the lens on the camera and after attaching it quickly turns the apature ring from one extreme to the other (so non AI = non automatic indexing). AI lenses came in with the F2 and retained the bunny ears (as did all future manual lenses) thereby providing decades worth of backwards compatability with the original system. The original non AI lenses could be fitted to any more modern cameras that were fitted with a little flip up bar type thing on the bayonet mount, thereby accommodating the sort of notch system thing that was part of the AI metering indexing system - but you could only use the light meter with stop down metering, which to be honest isn't really a problem. AIS lenses has some sort of program capability that allowed the lense to interact with the electronic program of the camera and AIP lenses were the same but more so. I don't have any eperiance with the AIP lenses, but with one or two exceptions the AIS lenses were otherwise largely the same as as their AI counterparts. There was also the 'E' lenses to go with the EM camera system that were aimed likewise at the bottom of the market.

Hello, thanks for posting, now you mention this I do recall the Nikkormat , a far cry from today's super duper electronic cameras 

I have a Nikon D90 that I have just pulled out of a closet for my son who is doing photography - it was bought about 13 years ago and was broken when my youngest (who now needs the camera) pulled the flash up and broke the catch for it. Currently it has an elastic band to hold down the flash but I have recently been able to get my hands on the PCB that has the catch and will be bringing into use my Wera Advent Tool Kit to repair it - or to fix it until it can't be fixed anymore :D

I have a slightly older lower range Nikon (D3??) that has a weird problem where if you take a photo without the flash as in daytime it works perfectly - however if you use it in the dark with the flash it appears to work - flash flashes, shutter goes but the picture is black - because the shutter and flash are out of sync

Going back I was a big fan of Minolta - My YTS in a companies (BICC) recording studio had me on day release to a college and photography was part of it. I ended up buying a Minolta Camera, and developing kit (B&W) of a family friend which was sold when I joined up although I did do some portrait photography for people prior to that - then bought the 7000 while in Germany with lenses and flash and also used to double up as the Regimental Photographer for a spell.

I haven't a clue what happened to that camera though