Powder for .38 Special?

I can't get Vihtavuori N320 anywhere local to me currently. What other powders are reloaders using for .38 Special?

I'm loading for my Marlin 1894C .38 Special / .357 Magnum 18.5" barrel, for targets at 25 and 50 yards, using 158 grain home-cast (Lee 358-158-RF mould) lead (50/50 range scrap/pure lead) bullet and CCI primers?

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Windswept said:

What have you got and what can you get?

I use Viht N320 but prefer Hodgdon HP38. Ramshot Zip is a cheaper option and there's a fair bit of 38/357 data for some of the shotgun powders out there.

I can get N310, but emailed Vihtavuori and they won't give be any load data for that for .38 Special. Might try Hodgdon HP38.

Load data for HP-38 can be found here: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/hodgdon-hp-38

I know quite a few people who use N310 but I went down the N320 route as there was some data available. I wonder why Viht don't publish data for .38? I also note the NRA seem to want people to use published data to shoot on their ranges: https://nra.org.uk/safety-notice-hand-loaded-ammunition/

2 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

Data for 310 is on their App/on-line.

Tim

Are you sure? I have the app. and I can't find a N310 recipe using my bullet. I emailed them and they responded as follows: 

"For safety and product liability reason we are unfortunately not able to comment on data differing from our published reloading data.

Each and every line of data we publish has carefully been tested in our ballistic test center and proven to be safe.

Very sorry for not being able to give any recommendations concerning reloading data."

44 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

Data for 310 is on their App/on-line.

Tim

For lead bullets? I checked the online data today and I can't find any N310 data for plain lead bullets, only data for jacketed or plated. As far as I can tell all the lead data is in their cowboy action section:

38 Special: https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/cowboy-action-reloading/?cartridge=40

357 Mag: https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/cowboy-action-reloading/?cartridge=35

1 hour ago, Apivorus said:

Are you sure? I have the app. and I can't find a N310 recipe using my bullet. I emailed them and they responded as follows: 

"For safety and product liability reason we are unfortunately not able to comment on data differing from our published reloading data.

Each and every line of data we publish has carefully been tested in our ballistic test center and proven to be safe.

Very sorry for not being able to give any recommendations concerning reloading data."

Just use any 158 grn load with your preferred powder as a reference and work up.

Tim

6 hours ago, Apivorus said:

I can't get Vihtavuori N320 anywhere local to me currently. What other powders are reloaders using for .38 Special?

I'm loading for my Marlin 1894C .38 Special / .357 Magnum 18.5" barrel, for targets at 25 and 50 yards, using 158 grain home-cast (Lee 358-158-RF mould) lead (50/50 range scrap/pure lead) bullet and CCI primers?

Thanks.

Have you tried Midcounties Blacking Ltd in Lichfield?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...