A tale of two sorties

the hitman

Hi folks 

Yesterday’s forecast was for heavy rain beginning about 10-11am, but sometimes they get it wrong ( I hoped). I was set up by 9.30 with pigeons on the move but not favouring the field I was on. I shot 2 and missed a couple more before the  heavy rain started- which brought an abrupt end at 10.15.

Today I hadn’t planned to go shooting however the conditions were perfect, so I was able to change my schedule and I was set up at 10.30 after a quick recce. My chosen field was a familiar one under 3 beeches and I push about 200 birds off as I approached. I had forgotten my decoys and only had 2 dead birds for the magnet. The birds I pushed off had settled on another field with more pitching in. I fired 2 shots in their direction and they lifted- and about 10 headed towards me. I shot 1 and missed 1, however these shots lifted the birds again and more came over, and I soon had 5 which I set up on flexi sticks Geoff Garrod style. My shots seemed to have put the pigeons back on the original flightline and for an hour it was pretty much nonstop shooting. I soon had about 35 out as decoys including the magnet which was really pulling them in. By 12.30 it was slowing down, and I could see pigeons heading to another field, however I was still picking away and shooting some lovely over the trees shots as well as crossing decoying shots.

By 1.30 knowing that I had shot a good bag I gave it another 30 minutes then called it a day with 68 shot.

94827DD8-6A80-4CD8-943A-1F9C1DF438A3.png

18 minutes ago, JDog said:

Bravo to our Northumberland correspondent. 

Will I see a pigeon up there next weekend?

Definitely a few about.

I honestly think the lockdown of March 2020 onwards gave the pigeons a chance to repopulate and I hope everyone is seeing more pigeons in their area. I haven’t shot so many winter pigeons on OSR ever.

34 minutes ago, maxwell said:

A very good day, I’d be happy with 68 in the summer never mind over winter rape, well done.

The forecast is cold the rest of the week so that will probably push them harder on the rape in the north east 

Agreed- I would be happy with a bag of 68 on drilling or OSR stubble.

Historically in winter I would spend all day chasing pigeons often for a single number return.

Back to work tomorrow so that will curtail my shooting for a while.

Yet again another excellent bag and the quality of the Pigeons look in tip top condition , shame you have got to go back to work , but sadly in this day and age the sale of dead pigeons won't pay for the cartridges let alone the house hold bills, never mind it will soon be the weekend :no: 

2 hours ago, the hitman said:

Agreed- I would be happy with a bag of 68 on drilling or OSR stubble.

Historically in winter I would spend all day chasing pigeons often for a single number return.

Back to work tomorrow so that will curtail my shooting for a while.

I was back today mate, roll on the weekend