Gloves

Scully

I know it’s been done before, but am looking for recommendations. 
I don’t like gloves, never have, but I’ve had a dead middle finger on my right hand for a few years now.
Sometimes when out shooting on icy days like today it starts to get warm after an hour or so of holding a gun, and ends up toasty, other times it just stays cold and throbs like billyo. 
Are Swandri any good? My ideal glove would be thin enough so I can feel the cartridges, but nice and warm and waterproof. They have to be washable also as I seem to be the only one who doesn’t mind gutting rabbits when we’re bolting them. I would take one off for this procedure obviously, but my hand wouldn’t be clean when I put it back on, so they need to be washable. 
Ta. 

Edited by Scully

Like Scully, I don’t like gloves, never have, but have poor circulation in my fingers. My best solution for shooting has been a sort of half-mitten which covers the wrist and the back of the hand, but leaves the palm and fingers uncovered. I find this keeps the wind off the back of the hands and thus my fingers seem to be warm. Sounds weird, I know but it works. Available from William Powell and elsewhere. Dunno what they’re called.

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

I know it’s been done before, but am looking for recommendations. 
I don’t like gloves, never have, but I’ve had a dead middle finger on my right hand for a few years now.
Sometimes when out shooting on icy days like today it starts to get warm after an hour or so of holding a gun, and ends up toasty, other times it just stays cold and throbs like billyo. 
Are Swandri any good? My ideal glove would be thin enough so I can feel the cartridges, but nice and warm and waterproof. They have to be washable also as I seem to be the only one who doesn’t mind gutting rabbits when we’re bolting them. I would take one off for this procedure obviously, but my hand wouldn’t be clean when I put it back on, so they need to be washable. 
Ta. 

Have a look at. Trek mate gloves I've got the silk ones used by cyclist's. I've had them at least 5 years wouldn't say waterproof but nice fit and warm i wear them all the time when out. Just chuck them in sink wash them out. Go outdoors stock the full range. 

I have the same problem and like Scully it varies without warning but seems more consistent when hands are wet ( blood, rain, dog leads etc ) I have done a lot of research with an answer above, Hotrox in my pockets which are toastie and when my freezing hands are in there I recon it's cos they have room to breathe as well as heat solves the problem. Hotrox were my 2nd last test on finding the solution the last one I had on my shortlist was hinted above ie: a quality golf glove but never got to trying it after I found a solution. Good luck Scully and everyone who is on the quest

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Like Scully, I don’t like gloves, never have, but have poor circulation in my fingers. My best solution for shooting has been a sort of half-mitten which covers the wrist and the back of the hand, but leaves the palm and fingers uncovered. I find this keeps the wind off the back of the hands and thus my fingers seem to be warm. Sounds weird, I know but it works. Available from William Powell and elsewhere. Dunno what they’re called.

Yep I use them leather shooting mits by Dents. Tuck a hand warmer such as Hot Hands in the back. Wear an old pair when picking up to stop the back of the hands being scratched/clawed.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

It's odd. I have had cold hands and feet for all of my adult life but in the past few years the cold doesn't affect me. 

This is nothing to do with residual alcohol in my body as I have given up drinking.

Perhaps that's the answer then. Bit excessive though. 

We need a volunteer to test it out (not me) and report the results. 

I wear gloves for all my shooting and have tried everything. for the most part mcwets have been by far the best for a good warmth and control/dexterity compromise.

theyve always keep the chill off for me i suffer with cold hands and feet. they do start to fall down a bit on really cold days wildfowling when they get damp and the winds up. but ive yet to find a pair that do stand up to that without feeling to bulky. so ive gone down the  route of mcwets and a hand warmer that straps to the front of my waiders for the foreshore.

thayre smart enough and fairly cheap and like a leather shammy material.

Must admit, through a lack of having nothing else, I wore a pair of cheap Aldi padded ( neoprene? ) fingerless gloves last time we bolted rabbits, and even though the wind chill was ridiculous, I can’t remember my dead digit being that cold even after getting it wet in the gutting process. 
I washed them however, for the reasons given, and they didn’t come out of it too well. 
Thanks all, for the input. 

7 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

I wear gloves for all my shooting and have tried everything. for the most part mcwets have been by far the best for a good warmth and control/dexterity compromise.

theyve always keep the chill off for me i suffer with cold hands and feet. they do start to fall down a bit on really cold days wildfowling when they get damp and the winds up. but ive yet to find a pair that do stand up to that without feeling to bulky. so ive gone down the  route of mcwets and a hand warmer that straps to the front of my waiders for the foreshore.

thayre smart enough and fairly cheap and like a leather shammy material.

Thanks. I bought a pair of Mac-wets donkies years ago when I shot a lot of clays, and don’t like them at all. I know they weren’t marketed as waterproof, but as super grippy in the wet. The downside of this though is that once wet your skin is wet, and in winter as I think you’ve found, that’s no use whatsoever. 

I'm not sure why , but this thread brought to mind the fact that my dad used to wear a pair of old socks as driving gloves on cold winter mornings 😁.

We're just so classy in Tipton 😁

His poor feet must have been freezing 🥶

I bought a pair of these for my daughter for riding and she has said they are really good

i have also got a pair and certainly seem to be good and keep you warm and dry (worn them all day Saturday in the rain picking up)

if I was going to shoot in them I may well cut the trigger finger off

only cost between £9 and £12 online.

D50DADAF-79F5-4125-9366-1FB7BF0EC460.jpeg