Gloves

Scully

The last time I wore gloves to shoot was the last time I had an accidental discharge, getting on 10 years ago.  Due to good safety protocol the gun was pointing in a safe direction but it put the willies up me to the extent I've never held a gun wearing gloves since.

I've always thought fingerless gloves are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, because it's the bits that they don't cover which get cold!

I'm not sure that artificially warming the hands is a good idea?  Because at some point you've got to take your hands out of your electrically warmed pockets and expose them to the cold once more, so then the temperature difference is much greater and you will feel it more?

On cold days on my own, standing whilst roost shooting or duck flighting, I'll quite often swap hands leaving one at a time in my pocket with the other holding the gun.

What about going old-school and smearing your fingers with goose fat? :)

I wear Macwets and carry a USB handwarmer too. 

I've found putting on a pair of disposable gloves underneath helps no end. I did this when fishing in very cold weather, the water is of course the horrendously chilling part. I did the same thing after my hands got soaked in two drives this weekend. I don't know how that would go for rifles, but it was fine for shotguns. The disposable gloves were skin tight and so I barely noticed them. 

It is not possible to get cold hands on my game shoot. Most seem to start the day wrapped up in 1000 layers and then end the day almost nude. I tend to shoot in just shirt sleeves with a thin waistcoat for pockets. Cold for the first 5 mins then warm for the rest of the day. I walk out on the marsh in just a shirt too with my coat and fleece in my Bergen, otherwise the pace is too slow and you miss the flight. 

However after an hour sat in freezing water on a cloudless night, having over topped your chest waders in the sea beforehand you do get cold to the bone. It doesn’t matter except for your fingers need to be able to move to shoot so I’ve discovered (from recommendation) disposable hand warmers. They are inert and can be left in the bottom of your bergen or poacher’s pocket for ‘emergency’ use.  The Range sell them at 99p for two and after buying 6 before last season I still have spare.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOTHANDS-Hand-Warmers-Pairs-activated/dp/B08GCT8SXZ/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_2/261-7280840-3329954?pd_rd_w=CKOu3&pf_rd_p=853ebcaa-6b0c-4aea-9a26-e5bc3fbf7f83&pf_rd_r=SX2D93RDF7GF0YNYRJDX&pd_rd_r=4776f7f8-9c27-4377-b8f5-46a23d40c7b2&pd_rd_wg=SlQad&pd_rd_i=B08GCT8SXZ&psc=1

I thought that my white finger had come back to haunt me, but no, it was the start of the arthritis. Even on a summer's evening I could suffer. These are not what you asked for, but if it turns a bit chilly and things kick off somewhat, you could try Ussen Flight Gloves. These are not heavy duty or waterproof, but on the other hand (no pun intended) they don't cost a lot. They are thin, grip you as well as what you're trying to hold. Got mine a few years back when they did 4 colours, but now it's  just Ford's any colour.

I bought a pair of Sealskinz shooting gloves about 10 years ago.   Fabric on the back, leather (or look-alike) on the palm.   The trigger finger folds back, but the Velcro does not hold it in place very securely.   OK in the wet.   Nothing like as warm as I would have expected, considering the price.  

The thin leather gloves (think they were by Dent) that I used for 20 years, until they finally disintegrated, were far warmer than the Sealskinz.