CZ 452 .22LR not ejecting live rounds

BruceA

I know there's an old thread on this but wondered if anyone found a solution other than not using CCI, as I recently bought 500 CCI sub-sonic? 

The claws look fine (no rounding or damage that I can see) and I've cleaned everything. It only fails on live rounds, spent ones eject fine. I have to say that the theory that the lead is engaging with the rifling sounds plausible. Other than that, I really can't think why a live round wouldn't extract unless the recoil forces the casing into the claws. The rifle hasn't had a lot of use so I don't really think it's wear.

BTW, is the bolt interchangeable with a 455 HMR? If so, I can eliminate the bolt as the issue.

This problem must be down to the lead bullet dragging in the chamber / rifling.  I use bolt action rifles and sometimes some makes of bullet feel completely different in clambering resistance.   It could be that a blooming good phosphor bronze brushing of the chamber / rifling and, or a patch with Brasso. Give it a vigourous polish. Have you tried different makes to see if they get stuck.?  It must be down to the lead bullet area. It could be that after a while of shooting it being a new gun it will wear in. One of the son in laws has a CZ auto and that doesn't like some rounds.  The rounds go up at such a steep angle that the bullet nose clips the top of the action and can be damaged and even in the worst cases with a particular make the whole round can be jacknifed. It could be that the fired one's are gone/shot out of the chamber and it is only the live ones are extracted.  Or attempted to be extracted. 

Edit. It might be that if you get a new round.  Look at it under a magnifying lens, mesure It with a good micrometer or a vernier ... if you have access. Mark the round with a fine felt tip to tell which is the top   Chamber the round and examine it after you get it back out. ? Maybe. ?

Edited by Minky

24 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

NEVER use CCI ammo.....problem solved. Whereabouts are you, you can try my bolt if nearby.

Thanks. I have a couple of mates with CZ's so I could try that. Will my 455 HMR bolt work? It looks the same, other than a slightly larger hole in the side (bottom? Can't recall exacty without loking again) of the bolt.

What ammo does yours like? Same question to Vampire.

Edited by BruceA

Thanks, Minky, that makes sense. I read a thread suggesting this on an American forum. I also saw something about creating a slight hook on the extractor claw so it grabs the rim better but not sure if related to general ejection isssues or just live rounds. There was also mention of slightly rounding the leading edge of the bottom of the bolt so it won't risk shaving the lead on the round. I'm reluctant to f-around with it too much.

If it is CCI related, it's just typical that I just bought 500. Will ask if my RFD will exchange them.

Edited by BruceA

13 hours ago, Houseplant said:

That's a shame. CCI Subsonic are the most accurate round I have put through my CZ452. No issues during normal use, but if I eject a live round and then put it back in the magazine, it's misfires every time. A few rabbits are still alive thanks to that feature!

Yeah, I can't complain about accuracy. The misfire you have is an odd one.

The problem with the son in laws rifle stemmed from using a Winchester bullet which was a sort of big magnum bullet.  I think that it was 42 grain.  now what they had done was to make the tip a bit more round bull nosed jobby.  ordinary 40grn tips of all sorts loaded ok but this particular tip caught up on the top of the action and quite often got either disformed / chopped about or completely jackknifed the bullet and case were at right angles.  needless to say that this involved a penknife to flick the round out of the action.  He was going to dump the brick but I bought them from him as the shot ok in my bolt.  I'll update the type tomorrow.  Nothing wrong with the bullet but the feed angle in th auto from the magazine to chamber was too steep.