Anybody else still catching mackerel

strimmer_13

Bit strange, 20 years ago I witnessed my best mate haul in a 3lb beast on the start of December near Llangrannog (West Wales). That was a fluke, as that was intended for other things and was a loner. It's just my mate over Salthill nr Galway had a load at the start of December and my brother in law has been watching them drag them in regularly of the rocks on the weekend off Paignton, Devon. And yes he knows what a mackerel looks like. 

Global warming, change of gulf streams? 30 mile out I could understand it, but off the rocks? Might get the feathers out next time I'm down there 🤔

Screenshot of the vid he took as his language would get me a ban.... 

Screenshot_20220104_195418_com.whatsapp.jpg

11 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I do a bit of sea fishing off Whitby but have only ever caught normal sized Mackeral.  Just googled records and the UK shore caught record is 5lb 11oz, I had no idea they go so big in UK waters.

Crazy isn't it! Mackerel the size of Jack Pyke. On light tackle that would of been better than any salmon 

A few people on other forums saying the same. Global warming is probably part of it, pouting would have been a remarkable catch off the Tyneside coast when I was a kid but now regularly turn up, dogfish are being caught off Fife and Angus along with bass, there was also a bream caught at Skateraw, Torness power station, which is notable for bass too. ABT back in the north sea and a swordfish in the firth of forth so why not mackerel in the winter?

2 hours ago, henry d said:

A few people on other forums saying the same. Global warming is probably part of it, pouting would have been a remarkable catch off the Tyneside coast when I was a kid but now regularly turn up, dogfish are being caught off Fife and Angus along with bass, there was also a bream caught at Skateraw, Torness power station, which is notable for bass too. ABT back in the north sea and a swordfish in the firth of forth so why not mackerel in the winter?

Might bring some interesting species further south. I'm not used to southern fishing, all my fishing has been west wales

20 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, caught my best bass off the Dorset coast , very long time ago 

I've always been with people that catch big bass, never had one myself. Biggest I think is about 3lb, but tbf think the biggest I've seen is only about 8lb. 

I miss living near the coast, I used to fish a lot, coast at one point was 300 yards away 😢 now it's a 1 1/4 hr at least to anywhere decent 

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I've always been with people that catch big bass, never had one myself. Biggest I think is about 3lb, but tbf think the biggest I've seen is only about 8lb. 

I miss living near the coast, I used to fish a lot, coast at one point was 300 yards away 😢 now it's a 1 1/4 hr at least to anywhere decent 

Hello, that was the size of mine I caught off West bay , just over 8llb , it was blowing a gale enough to get it on to the beach, very tasty 👍 

• 8 months later...

Off deal pier this HT in 2 hrs bangin' we (my son & I) came away with 20 good size mackerel. To save time when the feathers became too tangles we just put them aside and replaced them with one fresh out the packet - these were the only 'feathers' that got 4 (four) at once (twice) - normal feathers just got singles and doubles:

5-Packs-Living-Shrimp-5-hook-size-1-0.jpg

23 hours ago, oowee said:

In Brixham now and there is a bloom of some small fish (white bait?). The water is boiling seagulls are in a frenzy. Local sea pool is closed for cleaning as there was a mass dying. Fishing types were  pulling Mackrell last night on every meter of shore. 

Hmmmm, during a visit to Deal a fortnight earlier the bloke next to me was using something that really looked like these and was getting very good results. I tried to get something similar from the tackle shop but but they didn't have anything suitable - that's why I ended up with the shrimps...

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 09-39-22 42.png

Edited by DrBlox

37 minutes ago, DrBlox said:

Hmmmm, during a visit to Deal a fortnight earlier the bloke next to me was using something that really looked like these and was getting very good results. I tried to get something similar from the tackle shop but but they didn't have anything suitable - that's why I ended up with the shrimps...

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 09-39-22 42.png

Those are hokkai feathers for future reference & they are brillant for mackeral I just can't seem to find the mackeral to use them on 😂