Chilly? You could say that.

JDog

This morning's wind was 15mph with more westerly in it than I would have liked. Undaunted I headed out to shoot a flight line.

I arrived at 8.30 to see birds already on it and I thought I had missed my chance. I needn't have worried and I had a great thirty minutes of sport shooting some beauties in the bag of seventeen pigeons. 

I didn't take the dogs as I was shooting close to a busy road. I picked ten by hand, returned home to warm up and collect the dogs and I am now going out again with them to find the remaining seven pigeons which fell in the longer rape.

Postscript. The dogs picked six pigeons in the longer rape and I found the remaining one deeply embedded in a thorn bush stone dead so that is where it stayed.

Flightline pigeons..jpg

Edited by JDog

46 minutes ago, JDog said:

This morning's wind was 15mph with more westerly in it than I would have liked. Undaunted I headed out to shoot a flight line.

I arrived at 8.30 to see birds already on it and I thought I had missed my chance. I needn't have worried and I had a great thirty minutes of sport shooting some beauties in the bag of seventeen pigeons. 

I didn't take the dogs as I was shooting close to a busy road. I picked ten by hand, returned home to warm up and collect the dogs and I am now going out again with them to find the remaining seven pigeons which fell in the longer rape.

Sorry I cannot upload the picture at the moment.

I envy your opportunities and applaud your attitude. It’s a very cold but glorious day here, but alas no opportunity. My youngest dog is sat on the other end of the sofa, looking at me with that ‘Well, are we going then?’ look. Unfortunately we’re not. 
Well done. It’s good to get out, and even more so when with a gun. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I envy your opportunities and applaud your attitude. It’s a very cold but glorious day here, but alas no opportunity. My youngest dog is sat on the other end of the sofa, looking at me with that ‘Well, are we going then?’ look. Unfortunately we’re not. 
Well done. It’s good to get out, and even more so when with a gun. 

Scully,

Life is precious as the last two years have shown, and if I can get out shooting or participating in any of my other hobbies I will do so. 

This year I enter my eighth decade and I intend to make the most of what time I have left.

41 minutes ago, JDog said:

Scully,

Life is precious as the last two years have shown, and if I can get out shooting or participating in any of my other hobbies I will do so. 

This year I enter my eighth decade and I intend to make the most of what time I have left.

It is indeed. Without meaning to cast a gloomy shadow on an uplifting and positive thread, I have seen last year, some people I cared for experience tragic circumstances. 
Isolation sees me reluctantly housebound, but things could be so much worse, and I’m grateful for the otherwise excellent health I and those closest to me have. 
So good for you, get out there and live a life full of the things you enjoy, 

Only the brave and the dedicated few would have ventured out this morning , glad you were well rewarded for all the effort you put in.

Today was the coldest it had been for a good while with it being down to 2 when I de iced the windscreen and got in my motor , although the nights are pulling out the mornings are still dark , if you are up and about at that time in the morning that is . the puddles had ice on them and the lane was rock hard and bone dry , normally around 7.30 am I would hear several shots going off when the geese start lifting over the other side of the estuary, this morning was like armistice day , when the guns fell silent .

Well done. I've read all your recent posts on your pigeon shooting exploits. I'm not exactly sure how long you've been shooting your semi auto but you seem to be getting on well with it. Just goes to show that a top  class shot can shoot anything. 

Ps. I hope I've still got your  desire and opportunity to shoot pigeons when I reach my eighth decade.

41 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

JDog, I don’t post much but I really look forward to your excellent and witty posts.  I do envy your pigeon numbers, don’t get half the chances and numbers up here in the frozen North!

Regards

Flipper

How kind. However I have always felt that my wit falls on stoney ground judging by the boos and hisses I hear emanating from the more lugubrious members of this forum.

29 minutes ago, b325 said:

Well done. I've read all your recent posts on your pigeon shooting exploits. I'm not exactly sure how long you've been shooting your semi auto but you seem to be getting on well with it. Just goes to show that a top  class shot can shoot anything. 

Ps. I hope I've still got your  desire and opportunity to shoot pigeons when I reach my eighth decade.

I have put about 500 cartridges through the semi auto and shot a fair few pigeons with it. Some of those today were belters.

As for being a ‘top class shot’, I don’t think so. You should have seen my performance on those windy pigeons with Jacko the other day. It was right out of the Stevie Wonder school of shooting.

I too very much enjoy your posts along with your wit and self deprecating style.

That cartridge bag looks as though it has seen some action, along with plenty of emptiness at times by all accounts.

Thank you for posting.

OB