Doctors appointment

harrycatcat1

I have just rung up for a doctors appointment to see if I can get something for headache/migraine that I have most days and the receptionist has just told me the earliest for a telephone consultation is the morning of 25th January. I have tried most things to prevent them and I don't know if the doctor can pull a "rabbit out of the hat" but thought that I would try.

Only got three weeks to wait.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find all this quite baffling really. I keep hearing of people struggling to get to either see a GP, or a response from one. Maybe it’s a rural thing, but when I phoned the receptionist the other week to tell her the painkillers I’d been prescribed by the cudoc weren’t working, my doctor phoned me back a couple of hours later. 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Funny, i to have been getting severe headaches from the moment i wake up, been going on for 5 weeks now.

I think there’s all manner of bugs doing the rounds currently. OH has cold symptoms, including the headaches, but thankfully keeps testing negative, her Dad has a cold, and her Mother who is currently undergoing heart surgery, has cold symptoms, but also tests negative. 
I’ve just got off the phone to a client whose house I’ll shortly be working at, and she and her husband both have colds with all the associated symptoms. They too are testing negative. 

Hello, it's apathy in a lot of GP Surgeries from what I have seen and read, I been laid up before Christmas and should have got some antibiotics but need a prescription, cannot get without seeing the GP , is it short staffed or just another winter plus COVID, saying this look at the hospital overloads, and get yourself there , just look after yourselves as best you can , it's going to be a difficult winter

7 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Think your right about the bugs Scully, visited docs end of November, took blood, poo, urine samples, all clear, also testing negative, just have to get on with it.

Well done billy

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's apathy in a lot of GP Surgeries from what I have seen and read, I been laid up before Christmas and should have got some antibiotics but need a prescription, cannot get without seeing the GP , is it short staffed or just another winter plus COVID, saying this look at the hospital overloads, and get yourself there , just look after yourselves as best you can , it's going to be a difficult winter

Well done billy

My PSA was good again so hoping another year passes , ps out today with heated coat ?

My Mrs had sever headaches and went to the doctor checked her out and found nothing , As she was going out the door she was asked have you had your second covid injection in the last fortnight , When she said yes they said thats the cause and it will wear off .

The trick with the doctor is to say if there's a cancelation i will have it , or say i need a home visit you will get a appointment that day rather than them coming out 

34 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Check your blood pressure first, if that's OK then I would go to A&E, head pain over a period of 3-4 days or more needs checking if nothing more than to stop you worrying and making matters worse.

I started with these migraines about 20 years ago when I stopped smoking. My blood pressure is always normal when checked. Mine seem to come in phases, over Christmas I was fine but this past week it seems to keep on and off, banging left side of my head then right hand side then a crushing feeling.  Just fed up with it affecting things, should have been on a pheasant shoot this morning. 

Can't now take Sumatripan because they interfere with my angina treatment. Moan over for now.

5 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Feel sorry for you harrycatcat1, only ever had a couple of headaches in 60 years but I remember them being unpleasant.

Thanks, getting fed up with them now, ruins your day, now feeling sick.

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

For  migraine try Feverfew tablets, cant do any harm and helped my mate!

I will look into them thanks.

8 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks, getting fed up with them now, ruins your day, now feeling sick.

I will look into them thanks.

Ibuprofen no good? They no longer make the prescription pills I took for neuralgia, which is a great shame as they were wonderful, so chemist advised ibuprofen. They do work, to a degree, especially if I catch its onset quickly. They’re cheap as chips and may be worth a try if you haven’t already. 

4 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have just rung up for a doctors appointment to see if I can get something for headache/migraine that I have most days and the receptionist has just told me the earliest for a telephone consultation is the morning of 25th January. I have tried most things to prevent them and I don't know if the doctor can pull a "rabbit out of the hat" but thought that I would try.

Only got three weeks to wait.

I really feel for you,  serious headaches can really knock you off your feet . I'm a cluster headache sufferer ( nothing for a few years now), and before diagnosis I was given all sorts of pills and potions . At the time I seem to remember migraleve(sp) being good for general headaches . In my case , high flow rate oxygen turned out to be a good fix if I catch the headache in time.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Ibuprofen no good? They no longer make the prescription pills I took for neuralgia, which is a great shame as they were wonderful, so chemist advised ibuprofen. They do work, to a degree, especially if I catch its onset quickly. They’re cheap as chips and may be worth a try if you haven’t already. 

Thanks, I have tried alsorts, ibuprofen, naproxen, Tramadol, paracetamol etc nothing touches it. Been looking ont tinternet about amertripterline (spelling) supposed to be good. 

46 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks, I have tried alsorts, ibuprofen, naproxen, Tramadol, paracetamol etc nothing touches it. Been looking ont tinternet about amertripterline (spelling) supposed to be good. 

Amitriptyline, is an SSRI and widely used as an anti depressant, but also for pain relief and used for severe headaches in some.

Only available on prescription I’m afraid.

Migraleve pink and yellow tablets have I been told, been effective as both pain relief and anti nausea properties too. 

Hope that you find a solution soon. 

53 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Widely known as a dirty drug (for side effects), maybe research very well?

12 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

who are you with Harry ? ring 111 you may find one of your practice Doctors working there ! that is what I was told by the receptionist at my practice when I tried to see a GP .

Wheatbridge surgery. 

I could have dropped through the floor when she said earliest appointment was 3 weeks time. I'm going to ring up at 08.00 in the morning to see if there are any spare appointments 👍👍

36 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Amitriptyline, is an SSRI and widely used as an anti depressant, but also for pain relief and used for severe headaches in some.

Only available on prescription I’m afraid.

Migraleve pink and yellow tablets have I been told, been effective as both pain relief and anti nausea properties too. 

Hope that you find a solution soon. 

Thanks, I will see what the doctor recommends,  when I get to talk to them that is 🙄

5 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I started with these migraines about 20 years ago when I stopped smoking. My blood pressure is always normal when checked. Mine seem to come in phases, over Christmas I was fine but this past week it seems to keep on and off, banging left side of my head then right hand side then a crushing feeling.  Just fed up with it affecting things, should have been on a pheasant shoot this morning. 

Can't now take Sumatripan because they interfere with my angina treatment. Moan over for now.

It might be worth looking at the leaflet in your medication for angina. Some of them can cause quite bad headaches as a side effect.

Just now, harrycatcat1 said:

Wheatbridge surgery. 

I could have dropped through the floor when she said earliest appointment was 3 weeks time. I'm going to ring up at 08.00 in the morning to see if there are any spare appointments 👍👍

it's not good Harry , I'm with those at the Ashgate Primary Care .