Actual shot sizes.

As people keep telling us that quite often the shot size printed on a cartridge bears little resemblance to what that cartridge contains, I thought I would relate my findings this morning.

I know this is sad, but.........

I cut open two different .410 cartridges with two different, very close, shot sizes printed on them, from two different manufacturers.
These were a Lyalvale Express 2 1/2 inch  14 gram (half ounce) num 7 shot and an   
Eley Trap 2 1/2 inch 14 gram (half ounce) num 7 1/2 shot.

As English num 7 is 340 to the ounce I expected the Express cartridge to contain around 170 pellets. 
7 1/2 shot should be 400 to the ounce so I expected the Eley to contain around 200 pellets.

I really didn’t expect the two shot sizes to be much, if any, different but I was pleasantly surprised to find that both were exactly what they said on the box.

The Express 7 shot measured from 7 1/2 size to 6 1/2 but obviously averaged 7 because I counted 167 pellets.

The Eley 7 1/2 shot measured pretty consistently 7 1/2 with nothing that I measured as big as 7 and nothing as small as 8. I counted 197 pellets.

Both these are pretty close to the half ounce load, but we must remember that 14 grams is actually a smidgen under half ounce.  

I was very pleased with my findings which can only give confidence in the products.  
I have a small rough shoot day next Tuesday and I may take one of the .410’s for a change.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

The Express 7 shot measured from 7 1/2 size to 6 1/2 but obviously averaged 7 because I counted 167 pellets.

The Eley 7 1/2 shot measured pretty consistently 7 1/2 with nothing that I measured as big as 7 and nothing as small as 8. I counted 197 pellets.

Which document were you referencing that told you the sizes?

On 05/01/2022 at 12:30, London Best said:

As people keep telling us that quite often the shot size printed on a cartridge bears little resemblance to what that cartridge contains, I thought I would relate my findings this morning.

I know this is sad, but.........

I cut open two different .410 cartridges with two different, very close, shot sizes printed on them, from two different manufacturers.
These were a Lyalvale Express 2 1/2 inch  14 gram (half ounce) num 7 shot and an   
Eley Trap 2 1/2 inch 14 gram (half ounce) num 7 1/2 shot.

As English num 7 is 340 to the ounce I expected the Express cartridge to contain around 170 pellets. 
7 1/2 shot should be 400 to the ounce so I expected the Eley to contain around 200 pellets.

I really didn’t expect the two shot sizes to be much, if any, different but I was pleasantly surprised to find that both were exactly what they said on the box.

Both these are pretty close to the half ounce load, but we must remember that 14 grams is actually a smidgen under half ounce.  

I was very pleased with my findings which can only give confidence in the products.  
I have a small rough shoot day next Tuesday and I may take one of the .410’s for a change.

Just wonder - when people talk about shot size discrepancies they may be referring to continental / UK sizing issues … maybe?

Some UK loaders are stamping the UK pellet size on their cartridge - and using continental shot which is often nearly a whole size bigger. For example Hull High Pheasant Extreme 6s are in fact closer to a size UK 5 as they use continental shot. I buy these as my 5s. There are many more examples. 

Glad the Eley 410 cart’s turned out to be a genuine 7 1/2. I use these and like them a lot for pattern quality. 

52 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Glad the Eley 410 cart’s turned out to be a genuine 7 1/2. I use these and like them a lot for pattern quality. 

They seem to be a good cartridge. They certainly kill crows very well in my experience, although I have only shot maybe 40/50 with them in the last couple of years. I may give them a go on some pheasants next week. I know the Express 7’s work very well against pheasants ( normal, average driven birds, not skyscraper stuff obviously).

The Eley Trap .410’s seem to be light years ahead of the old Eley Fourlong.

My .410’s are only 2 1/2 inch chambered, not 3 inch magnum jobs, but I have found them very adequate for any game I have tried them at. I never use any shot bigger than 7’s to maintain pattern and try to keep shots under about thirty yards.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

The Eley Trap .410’s seem to be light years ahead of the old Eley Fourlong.

My .410’s are only 2 1/2 inch chambered, not 3 inch magnum jobs, but I have found them very adequate for any game I have tried them at. I never use any shot bigger than 7’s to maintain pattern and try to keep shots under about thirty yards.

Yes agree re the 410 Eley trap. I will be buying more. 
I get the impression that Fourlongs are a very low pressure / velocity cartridge.  Could be wrong, but they’re not exactly snappy. OK for closish clays.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

They seem to be a good cartridge. They certainly kill crows very well in my experience, although I have only shot maybe 40/50 with them in the last couple of years. I may give them a go on some pheasants next week. I know the Express 7’s work very well against pheasants ( normal, average driven birds, not skyscraper stuff obviously).

Can I ask what range u clase as normal driven bird's please LB