Tikka .222

On 10/01/2022 at 08:33, welshwarrior said:

1:12 is the old traditional twist so limited to 50grains or below in lead or short 45s on NLA 

Yes I know, but the more I think about it these  new tikkas are one in 14 maybe I got it wrong will have to look in to it.

On 11/01/2022 at 13:49, welshwarrior said:

Have a look 1:14 is not great to allow for NLA ive rebarreled mine at 1:8 and can now shoot 70 grain lead or 50/55 grain copper 

Yes it's one 14 what can I use in it. And how much to rebarrel.

4 minutes ago, billm said:

Yes it's one 14 what can I use in it. And how much to rebarrel.

Try a 50 grain flat base to start it should be ok.  If not drop to 45s.  Rebarreling depends on the barrel (blanks cost between £300 and £3000).  Assuming you just want a standard grade barrel hunting barrel about £1000 after proof and some sort of finish. 

16 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Try a 50 grain flat base to start it should be ok.  If not drop to 45s.  Rebarreling depends on the barrel (blanks cost between £300 and £3000).  Assuming you just want a standard grade barrel hunting barrel about £1000 after proof and some sort of finish. 

Cheers  will try 45 and Olso 50grain first, iam new to senterfire, so intrested  in everything  you have to tell me,like you say 50 grain flat base, what do you mean by that, and anything else  you can tell me. billm.

5 hours ago, billm said:

Cheers  will try 45 and Olso 50grain first, iam new to senterfire, so intrested  in everything  you have to tell me,like you say 50 grain flat base, what do you mean by that, and anything else  you can tell me. billm.

Flat bases are like the ones of the left a boat tail is a longer more aerodynamic bullet like those on the right   image.jpeg.fd3689b4ea3e99cbbc1e9fb19f8fa66e.jpeg

due to you slow twist you need a short bullet to stabilise generally but not always a lighter bullet is shorter and a flat base shape will be shorter than a boat tail bullet.

When dealing with Non Lead Ammo NLA the bullets are generally copper which is lighter than lead therefore a the bullet of the same weight a shape will be longer.  With your twist in 222 you’d have to go to a lighter bullet to get stability.  

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

Flat bases are like the ones of the left a boat tail is a longer more aerodynamic bullet like those on the right   image.jpeg.fd3689b4ea3e99cbbc1e9fb19f8fa66e.jpeg

due to you slow twist you need a short bullet to stabilise generally but not always a lighter bullet is shorter and a flat base shape will be shorter than a boat tail bullet.

When dealing with Non Lead Ammo NLA the bullets are generally copper which is lighter than lead therefore a the bullet of the same weight a shape will be longer.  With your twist in 222 you’d have to go to a lighter bullet to get stability.  

Not strictly true. As most .222 are 1-14 twist and will ( i know as i reload and use a cz527 .222) stabilise 40gr to 60gr lead projectiles 50-52 gr reputed to be optimum weights . Copper/Brass as you stated are different BUT Neilson Sonic ( one example ) 50gr slow twist shoot superb . Fox also shoot ok Barnes 50gr ttsx if you pull the polymer tip these also shoot accurate penetrate and expand. My advice speak to Ed at Edinburgh Sporting Rifles and Goods who uses a .222 to good effect in Scotland 👍

If you're going to reload and you're not continually trotting up norf and can therefore have a dedicated fox round, you could try  Hornady 50g SPSX. These stabilise at 2690 in my 26" 1 in 14 22 Hornet barrel so no problem. Don't think I'd advise for roe though.

Edited by wymberley

On 14/01/2022 at 12:35, wymberley said:

If you're going to reload and you're not continually trotting up norf and can therefore have a dedicated fox round, you could try  Hornady 50g SPSX. These stabilise at 2690 in my 26" 1 in 14 22 Hornet barrel so no problem. Don't think I'd advise for roe though.

Will give them a try see how they go.

On 14/01/2022 at 11:44, London Best said:

I reloaded thousands of .222 Rem. for a friend. The rifle was a Sako. I have no idea what twist was I the barrel, but it certainly stabilised 55 grain Speer flat base bullets perfectly.

edit: I used 20 grains of Reloder 7.

Nice to know

On 13/01/2022 at 19:47, 6.5x55SE said:

Not strictly true. As most .222 are 1-14 twist and will ( i know as i reload and use a cz527 .222) stabilise 40gr to 60gr lead projectiles 50-52 gr reputed to be optimum weights . Copper/Brass as you stated are different BUT Neilson Sonic ( one example ) 50gr slow twist shoot superb . Fox also shoot ok Barnes 50gr ttsx if you pull the polymer tip these also shoot accurate penetrate and expand. My advice speak to Ed at Edinburgh Sporting Rifles and Goods who uses a .222 to good effect in Scotland 👍

Thanks, thats a lot to think about, I will certainly  have a talk with Ed see what he has to say.

On 13/01/2022 at 13:27, miki said:

Billm. You need short bullets in your long twist rifle and long bullets will not stabilise.
To get a short bullet the weight is low and the base is flat. The greater the weight the longer the bullet, boat tails are longer than flat.

These are popular and suited to the long twist .222Rem SAKO Gamehead link

OK thanks for advice,  the like was good one thank you.