Expected Better from Gamebore Black Gold

Some years ago the police stopped using Gamebore. My brother who was for twenty years a police "marksman" (the one that usually was the one with the rifle and 'scope sight) on their Tactical Firearms Unit had a wad drop when doing fast firing drills with a Remington 870 (so that tells how long ago it was). The next round up took the side out of the barrel and, fortunately, the slug went up and out rather than down and out otherwise he'd have lost his forearm. I also had a friend at Weston Park ten years or so ago who burst the barrel on his William Powell damascus barrel 20 bore with a dropped wad (in the last inch of barrel) from a Gamebore cartridge. I don't use them in my guns. Ever!

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

Update.

Have to say I'm very impressed! Fantastic Customer service.

Gamebore UK Sales Manager David called me 6pm yesterday evening as promised, very nice bloke and straight to the point.

He held his hands up and said it's unacceptable , He's made inquiries as to why this has happened and apologized profusely.

They are collecting the raining stock from the Supplier to inspect and are also Collecting my faulty carts with a replacement due. 

Can't say fairer than that.

Thanks David.

Good result. I wonder how much influence your conversation on PW could have had…?

So opened up 28g 8s hellfire pro and took a gander - these are based on white golds according to Google!

shot 50 at my home ground coniston and found then affective against clays out to 50-55 yards ( distance given by Nigel head CPSA trainer ) on a high  teal ( face on ) and about 50 yards side on going away my gut says they would have killed at longer ranges but none were available to me to try at . I run my guns choked up regardless of stand/presentation  so  Teague choked at 3/4 and Full my 535 has been barrel tuned by the company themselves ( though I have no paper proof ) 

Internally all shot looks spot on but my verniers are waterlogged so can’t measure. 

will count pellets and post up results I will retrieve my spare verniers from work and measure at some point.

photos of my dissection:-

24634CA5-9C2D-4763-A5C7-0569CC542A99.jpeg

5A0F6DCD-5E45-4CF6-AA12-D2F646E5267D.jpeg

832A309F-AED0-4ECF-BE3B-B95F32D65E23.jpeg

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Shot count 378 but had to borrow wife’s reading glasses so might be a couple either way !

DF5C24A6-C7AA-4D7A-B4DB-83C587ECE4E4.jpeg

If a true 28g or thereabouts, 378 means realistically a 7 1\4.

I have counted white golds before and got 365 pellets for 28.0g so not much difference, might open a new one up from latest batch to double check.

UPDATE: Cut open a 2021 White Gold Fibre No 8 - 28.07g, 380 pellets - 18mm Diana Fibre Wad, 3mm OPC and 1.66g of mixed pink and green 1.5mm flake powder, no oddities and nicely polished pellets.

Edited by Stonepark

On 07/01/2022 at 08:37, Sprucey said:

Update.

Have to say I'm very impressed! Fantastic Customer service.

Gamebore UK Sales Manager David called me 6pm yesterday evening as promised, very nice bloke and straight to the point.

He held his hands up and said it's unacceptable , He's made inquiries as to why this has happened and apologized profusely.

They are collecting the raining stock from the Supplier to inspect and are also Collecting my faulty carts with a replacement due. 

Can't say fairer than that.

Thanks David.

Glad you’re happy with that poor excuse for non existent quality control David i imagine your shell was cut up recently mine was probably 2 years ago i wonder how many like them have been sold as premium cartridges between those times.

7 hours ago, mecman said:

Glad you’re happy with that poor excuse for non existent quality control David i imagine your shell was cut up recently mine was probably 2 years ago i wonder how many like them have been sold as premium cartridges between those times.

Suspect most people judge their cartridge performance by how they perform in the field rather than what the lead looks like, they are pretty popular for a reason (could be good marketing), my experience is they fold them over in the air and thats what I am looking for

I haven't cut a cartridge open since our Russian friends flooded the U K market with the infamous Baikal cartridges , it didn't really matter what size of shot you asked for you were going to get some of that size in a cartridge along with a sprinkling of all the other shot sizes , that didn't matter to the rough shooter as they could easily be used for a Snipe , Goose and every species in between, nowadays cartridges are far to expensive in cutting them open , not only that , if you saw a small variation in the size of shot you will be constantly blaming the shells for missing , and to be honest, is it really going to make a huge difference :lol: