Basc

blankfirer

Hello people I personally think it's about time that basc put the subscription up to a £100 and use £25of that to start buying land for us lot to use because the way this country is going there will be no green land just houses and Amazon warehouses they could rent the land back to clubs all over GB everybody would join they would not lose out neither would we what do you think?

2 minutes ago, blankfirer said:

Hello people I personally think it's about time that basc put the subscription up to a £100 and use £25of that to start buying land for us lot to use because the way this country is going there will be no green land just houses and Amazon warehouses they could rent the land back to clubs all over GB everybody would join they would not lose out neither would we what do you think?

An interesting idea, unfortunately I feel that BASC have done so much harm to our past time that many people will not give them another penny!

53 minutes ago, blankfirer said:

BASC claim to have 150,000 members. Therefore if you do the maths with each member giving £25 extra, £3.75 million would be made available each year. While this couldn’t possibly supply 150,000 members with sufficient shooting land, it could be made available for management agreements and game/wildlife habitat improvement grants etc. It is  the kind of work the RSPB undertake……?!

I think this should be tabled at the next BASC board meeting. They need a positive project!

Why don’t you suggest it. Isn’t there a BASC chap on PW?

26 minutes ago, Fellside said:

BASC claim to have 150,000 members. Therefore if you do the maths with each member giving £25 extra, £3.75 million would be made available each year. While this couldn’t possibly supply 150,000 members with sufficient shooting land, it could be made available for management agreements and game/wildlife habitat improvement grants etc. It is  the kind of work the RSPB undertake……?!

I think this should be tabled at the next BASC board meeting. They need a positive project!

Why don’t you suggest it. Isn’t there a BASC chap on PW?

Every bit of land bought with government money or grants or donations or.   Public land                    is useless to us .you can walk all day but leave your weapon of any choice at home 

1 minute ago, blankfirer said:

Every bit of land bought with government money or grants or donations or.   Public land                    is useless to us .you can walk all day but leave your weapon of any choice at home 

Apologies Blankfirer, I don’t understand your post.

If your suggestion re the extra £25 resulted in shooting and wildlife habitat enhancement, would that not be beneficial? It would be very different from any public land grants etc. This would also fit with the new ‘shoot to sustain’ message. 

Do forgive me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Apologies Blankfirer, I don’t understand your post.

If your suggestion re the extra £25 resulted in shooting and wildlife habitat enhancement, would that not be beneficial? It would be very different from any public land grants etc. This would also fit with the new ‘shoot to sustain’ message. 

Do forgive me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here. 

Yes mate what I mean is rspb ,wetland trust natural England as soon as they buy land that's me and you done No shooting ever again so if we all clubbed together we could buy land or sporting rights 

1 minute ago, blankfirer said:

Yes mate what I mean is rspb ,wetland trust natural England as soon as they buy land that's me and you done No shooting ever again so if we all clubbed together we could buy land or sporting rights 

Yes understood - thanks.

Great idea in principle. As £3.75 million wouldn’t secure shooting rights for all £150,000 members - I was trying to come up with some creative solutions. Perhaps securing shooting leases via habitat enhancements. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Yes understood - thanks.

Great idea in principle. As £3.75 million wouldn’t secure shooting rights for all £150,000 members - I was trying to come up with some creative solutions. Perhaps securing shooting leases via habitat enhancements. Just a thought. 

Buy the land secure the rights and sell on the land. 

Seems to me that even where the land exists and shooting is permitted people very rarely use the opportunity. There are so many excuses, nothing to shoot, no one to go with, getting my nails done, weathers not great, its the wrong day of the month. Add that together and the chances of most people going out occurs once in a blue moon? 

It would be interesting to hear thoughts on here but i reckon only 1 in 20 shooters is active (once a week plus).

I came out of BASC when the subs were £17. When they sold us down the river over the lead ban on wildfowl. Can anyone remember the vote of no confidence on Mr Swift at the time. Chris Packham and all the other anti's ought to join. BASC has done more harm to shooting than they ever have. It is just another business where all they are bothered about is salaries and pensions. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Buy the land secure the rights and sell on the land. 

Seems to me that even where the land exists and shooting is permitted people very rarely use the opportunity. There are so many excuses, nothing to shoot, no one to go with, getting my nails done, weathers not great, its the wrong day of the month. Add that together and the chances of most people going out occurs once in a blue moon? 

It would be interesting to hear thoughts on here but i reckon only 1 in 20 shooters is active (once a week plus).

I think you right in what your saying , I would imagine there are only a small percentage of club members who go fowling more than once a week ,  quite a few who only go once or so a month and believe it not, each club would have a certain amount of members who only shoot fowl at a meeting night and never any off the marsh.

A interesting piece in the new B A S C magazine , it stated that in 2005 the Fenland Wildfowlers who shoot around the Wash area and is stepped in fowling history with the likes of Kenzie Thorpe and Peter Scott shooting the exactly same marshes and saltings , had 400 members with a waiting list , now it is down to 250 , a drop of 150 members , we hear each year the B A S C membership is going up and yet at club level for a lot of clubs it is going down with little signs it is going back up .

So is there a slow decline in wildfowling ?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

A interesting piece in the new B A S C magazine , it stated that in 2005 the Fenland Wildfowlers who shoot around the Wash area and is stepped in fowling history with the likes of Kenzie Thorpe and Peter Scott shooting the exactly same marshes and saltings , had 400 members with a waiting list , now it is down to 250 , a drop of 150 members , we hear each year the B A S C membership is going up and yet at club level for a lot of clubs it is going down with little signs it is going back up .

So is there a slow decline in wildfowling ?

Just my 2 pence worth, I am a member of BASC, I have been ever since I started shooting, admittedly the older I get I do sometimes wonder why. I enjoy the magazine and weekly email updates but I do wish they could champion our community to the rest of the world as well as they do to us. That said if they did suggest a voluntary contribution to purchase land around the country I would be happy to support it even if it was on the other side of the country, at least I know that perhaps it would inspire others and promote shooting.

As for a decline in wildfowling, about 4 years ago I moved from the outskirts of London to the coast. I immediately tried to join a local wildfowling club. Applied online, heard nothing... Applied again... Eventually got a reply, they said they would send me an application form, after 6 weeks it never came, I asked for a new form, it came, I filled it out and sent it back recorded. Never heard back... On their website it said they are recruiting members but it didn't seem like they wanted any.

Since then I have actually managed to join another club but so far I have been a member since April, have paid an extra fee as a new member, but until I have to spend the first year going with an experienced member on the marsh before I am allowed on my own, which I think is sensible, but as of yet I'm still waiting to go with someone, wether that is due to covid or not enough volunteers I don't know. Either way in my experience it feels like if wildfowling is in decline, maybe some of it is self inflicted. 

10 hours ago, blankfirer said:

I thought of something similar - but with the funds renting / leasing ground long term 

The benefit to the landowner is an income for 20/30 years - the money would go far further

Whichever group or organisation took it on could then increase bio diversity and "sell" points to the environment banks

win / win ?

Owning shooting rights but not the land sounds attractive, but if you don't have the goodwill of the landowner it can lead to problems including expensive litigation. This is from personal knowledge and experience. Also, as a landowner you have better standing and influence on local issues such as drainage boards and conservation issues.

12 hours ago, Lsto said:

Just my 2 pence worth, I am a member of BASC, I have been ever since I started shooting, admittedly the older I get I do sometimes wonder why. I enjoy the magazine and weekly email updates but I do wish they could champion our community to the rest of the world as well as they do to us. That said if they did suggest a voluntary contribution to purchase land around the country I would be happy to support it even if it was on the other side of the country, at least I know that perhaps it would inspire others and promote shooting.

As for a decline in wildfowling, about 4 years ago I moved from the outskirts of London to the coast. I immediately tried to join a local wildfowling club. Applied online, heard nothing... Applied again... Eventually got a reply, they said they would send me an application form, after 6 weeks it never came, I asked for a new form, it came, I filled it out and sent it back recorded. Never heard back... On their website it said they are recruiting members but it didn't seem like they wanted any.

Since then I have actually managed to join another club but so far I have been a member since April, have paid an extra fee as a new member, but until I have to spend the first year going with an experienced member on the marsh before I am allowed on my own, which I think is sensible, but as of yet I'm still waiting to go with someone, wether that is due to covid or not enough volunteers I don't know. Either way in my experience it feels like if wildfowling is in decline, maybe some of it is self inflicted. 

Sorry to hear you had problems with trying to join a wildfowling club , I must admit that these last 18 months or so have been disrupted with restrictions from the virus , we haven't had any meetings for ages and were due for one a couple of weeks ago , then someone at the club room caught the virus and the room had to be fully cleaned out so the meeting once again was cancelled at short notice , with not having any meetings we have still been informed about any issues that have cropped up , I did have a minor problem myself with a ordinary padlock that had been put on a barrier to stop anyone going down the marsh fly tipping , this was a good idea but I couldn't get down to my marshes and the clubs ones which was next door , I emailed a certain member and the response was instant and very friendly and within a few days a combination lock was put on the barrier so I had access to where I wanted to go .

Like other clubs we cannot disclose certain details but if your new club was close to me then by all means get in touch and I will see if I can help you out .

GOOD LUCK     MM