Help please!

Del Boy Dixey

Just done 2 trips a week apart of 50 miles round my 16 permissions in East Kent 

And I haven’t seen a pigeon apart from the odd one in a garden 

has anyone else seen them in East Kent?

I know we have very little rape this year and it has been very mild

Any advice and info would be much appreciated 

Del Boy Dixey 

Canterbury 

Part of your problem could be in your post ,( we have very little rape this year ) as I said this could only be a small part of the lack of pigeons on your perms , what are your perms normally like , do they hold a lot of Pigeons , a decent amount , or you only see them on the odd crop ? , do you know of any other Pigeon shooters in your area , if so , what are they finding ? , the young ones do tend to flock together in the early part of the Winter and at the moment they could still be in large flocks and roosting in wood just a few miles from where you have been looking , in a few weeks time they will be splitting up from the flocks and if you have got the right crops you could be seeing good numbers again , Hope so anyhow :good: 

Edited by marsh man

20 hours ago, Del Boy Dixey said:

Just done 2 trips a week apart of 50 miles round my 16 permissions in East Kent 

And I haven’t seen a pigeon apart from the odd one in a garden 

has anyone else seen them in East Kent?

I know we have very little rape this year and it has been very mild

Any advice and info would be much appreciated 

Del Boy Dixey 

Canterbury 

If you drive from Canterbury on the A28 between Upstreet and Sarre, you will note that there are plenty still on ivy berries in the roadside hedges. 
OB

11 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

If you drive from Canterbury on the A28 between Upstreet and Sarre, you will note that there are plenty still on ivy berries in the roadside hedges. 
OB

Thanks for responding 

yes I have them in the garden on ivy berries too

but the boss does not allow me to kill them!

22 hours ago, mossy835 said:

on one farm this year, i have 5 rape fields last year there was not a lot of pigeons. but this year there are loads there.on other farms i have not a lot about,

Thanks for responding 

logical if one thinks about it

they will go where the grub is

no grub, no pigeons 

23 hours ago, marsh man said:

Part of your problem could be in your post ,( we have very little rape this year ) as I said this could only be a small part of the lack of pigeons on your perms , what are your perms normally like , do they hold a lot of Pigeons , a decent amount , or you only see them on the odd crop ? , do you know of any other Pigeon shooters in your area , if so , what are they finding ? , the young ones do tend to flock together in the early part of the Winter and at the moment they could still be in large flocks and roosting in wood just a few miles from where you have been looking , in a few weeks time they will be splitting up from the flocks and if you have got the right crops you could be seeing good numbers again , Hope so anyhow :good: 

Thanks for responding 

my permissions provide me normally with all the shooting I can handle and I average 50 per outing (but I won’t set up unless I think I can get 50. I am fussy!)

I suppose that is why I was concerned about the lack of pigeons I found on my perms 

however reading what’s going on elsewhere, it is quite clear that the only place they will be for the next few weeks is rape

i have 5 fields on my permissions and they are not there yet

i shall be watching!

Thanx again 

Del Boy Dixey 

13 hours ago, clangerman said:

have the opposite here first year for long time had birds on almost all the rape shooting a new perm tomorrow thanks to couple of large flocks not a good sign but you have to show willing maybe your area has another food source at present 

Thanks for responding 

which part of the country are you?