Common Carp....

gamekeeper1960

20220106_122136.jpg.bcc102ce33c92e6f51ff52e34dfe9c0e.jpg20220106_141820.jpg.3ad24de3e0a969329f9327fdaafcf889.jpgI was asked recently if theres away of making a stick handle with a Common Carp for a memorial stick to his son ...thinking of the shape of a fish I have seen them done (and done them myself ) as a leaping trout or salmon but Carp ain't as a rule known for their leaping ability.. So I had to put my thinking cap on...now I one or two Crooks that have a dog and another of a hare laying on top so it got me thinking how would it look with said Carp.. 

A little while later headed to the shed to source out some wood that might be suitable...many years ago I was given some Black Walnut off cuts from a chap who makes furniture...

So thus far we have....

And please if you've seen enough of my work I won't be offended just say so...

Cheers DB..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

How can we ever want you to stop showing us your great work and other's to learn from you.

KEEP THEM COMMING

Thanks Bill..more photos to follow...

6 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

No chance of that with your skills 👍

Thank you Mr Farrier...

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks for posting, look forward to seeing how it goes and the finished stick, I remember catching a common carp in an old brick pit lake about 8, proper Mr Crabtree scene with my dear Uncle David

Cheers Mr Popper...

Well today has gone well...and things are moving along well  only now I remember why Black Walnut is not the easiest timber to work with as it shows every scratch mark..so theres a heck of a lot sanding to do started with with 80grit and ends with 600grit to get over this problem..but I must admit the end result is fabulous....I've added scales but tried to make it look like a bottom feeder as it creeps along the river bed ... don't know if I've achieved it but as they say him up stars like a trier...

IMG-20220107-WA0007.jpeg.b7a7f8d44e2842237a11799f00990292.jpeg

3 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

You had better give the good lady a special heart shaped stick in February the 14th to say thank you for helping you and cleaning up after you.

Please guy's do not read this as a rude suggestion being made.

Bill

She's already got my 💝 Bill she doesn't need any others...😉...

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

Grinling Gibbons..........?

Heck I wish..Dictchy 

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I think you spend too much time posting , when you could spend it carving 😁.

Your work is outstanding sir , and I eagerly await your latest pics 👍.

Cheers Mel.....been busy today trying to get wet pheasants to fly so you well have to wait till next week ...👍