Tragic Shooting Accident to Italian Junior Skeet Champion

JohnfromUK

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Might help as we can't understand it if we think of a reason why such a  thing is unheard of here and what do the Europeans do that we don't.

Use slings on their shotguns is the only one that springs to mind. 🤷‍♂️

Slung gun slips off shoulder and around as he bends down, stock smacks on ground? 
Awfully tragic accident however it occurred. 

20 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Exactly  , depends  how light the trigger is set , years ago my mate let me have a go with his gun , he did not tell me how light it was set , hell hardly touch the trigger and it went of . 

A weapon can fire without the trigger moving!

33 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Perhaps leant a loaded gun against a tree, then it fell over and went off?

Did you read the article?

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hit it hard enough and it will fire!

A chap I know was Rabbit shooting in a wood , he met up with his mate and while having a yarn he held his side by side in the crook of his arm with the mussel pointing skywards , for some reason unbeknown to us he loosened his grip and the gun slid through his arm , the stock hit the floor hard and discharged the gun , this resulted in removing most of his mussel in his forearm, he was rushed to the NNH and they done a brilliant job in saving his arm minus the mussel , this was only a fraction away from hitting him under the chin and certain death , now he still shoot but have to keep his arm well wrapped up when the weather turn cold . one very lucky , or unlucky man depending on how you look at it .

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

I thought modern guns had interrupting safety seats so they couldn’t be accidentally discharged. 

No, not really.  Most sidelocks have intercepting safety sears, but not all.  Most boxlocks don't have them, but a few (mostly high grade older English) do. 

One of the very few accidents I know of to someone I know happened on a (best quality English) sidelock with intercepting safety that slipped through his loader's hands - and went off when it hit the ground.  The loader was injured in one hand and he had a very near miss.

I suspect that this happened via:

• He wants to bend down to pick up some empties
  • He's a bit tired from walking, so he puts the butt of the gun into the ground and leans on the barrel(s) as he bends down. If it's a double, breaking the gun wouldn't allow him to lean on it, so he leaves it unbroken and, unfortunately, loaded. 
  • He's placed the butt of the gun close to the empties; as he leans on the gun and reaches down with his hand outstretched, a finger or thumb catches the trigger and the gun fires.

45 minutes ago, Smudger687 said:

I suspect that this happened via:

• He wants to bend down to pick up some empties
  • He's a bit tired from walking, so he puts the butt of the gun into the ground and leans on the barrel(s) as he bends down. If it's a double, breaking the gun wouldn't allow him to lean on it, so he leaves it unbroken and, unfortunately, loaded. 
  • He's placed the butt of the gun close to the empties; as he leans on the gun and reaches down with his hand outstretched, a finger or thumb catches the trigger and the gun fires.

If thats what he done its a Darwin award