Tragic Shooting Accident to Italian Junior Skeet Champion

JohnfromUK

Some additional information from https://www.italy24news.com/local/329496.html

"...The young man was injured by a rifle shot in the abdomen and in the hand accidentally fired from his rifle while he was bent over to collect the shells of the hunting trip."

...as a child he had cultivated a passion for skeet shooting until he passed the hunting qualification exams, once he reached the age of 18, attending the Federcaccia preparation course" 

***edited to add the following link and quote***

https://cacciapassione.us/cecina-li-junior-skeet-champion-dies-during-a-hunting-trip/

states "...The young man was wounded by a shotgun shot in the abdomen and in the hand accidentally fired from his rifle as he bent down to collect the cartridge cases of the hunting trip."

the reporters seem to use the terms 'shotgun' and 'rifle' interchangeably.  

Edited by leakyseals
revised info added from another media source

8 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

This lad would have had safety drilled into him from a very early age and every moment after. God knows what actually happened and we probably never will. But the lesson here is, however safe you think you are , it only takes a moment...

And the maxim, never trust the safety catch?

I think if we all think back to our very early shooting days there will be an occasion where we did something silly with a firearm that could have been life threatening for ourselves or others, be it accidentally waving a muzzle past someone, or the dumb*** thing I did...finishing a crow off with the butt of the gun, I still shudder at the thought. I think we would be lying to ourselves if we said we haven't.

This young person has paid the price for possibly a moments lapse an i for one won't judge. 

• 3 weeks later...

We'll never know the details, but what we do know is that the gun was loaded when he wasn't actually shooting.

I've seen careless actions many times over the years, with guns closed when they shouldn't be, with guns loaded when the shooter thought they weren't and so on, but these incidents have usually involved old boys like myself with years of experience, who have become complacent.  This poor guy was just 19, I would have thought that his safety procedures should have made this impossible.

We all know how to walk down the stairs, but a casual slip, and you can fall and bang your head and that can be it ... these things can be over in an instant.

I've seen a horrific H&S clip of a forklift tipping up as it's overloaded ... someone runs up to 'weigh down' the back of it .... slips under the rising bulk of the machine and is crushed to death as it re-balances back down.

It's a warning to all of us.

2 hours ago, Jega said:

WARNING VERY VERY GRAPHIC CONTENT !!!!!!!!

What happens when you forget there was a cartridge still up the spout .

pampfig1a.jpg

I look at that pic and thought , what's TT done now ? 😜.

3 hours ago, Jega said:

WARNING VERY VERY GRAPHIC CONTENT !!!!!!!!

What happens when you forget there was a cartridge still up the spout .

pampfig1a.jpg

Salvageable, looks like the last RTA I helped out where the old boy suffered a compound fracture just above the ankle.

Applied pressure before a Paramedic who was passing stopped too. 
prognosis was good For the foot but he went into arrest in the air Ambulance. 
Press only reported that he was in the hospital so never found out his outcome.

Lovely fella, kept him chatting at same time as doing the ‘basics’ but remember him saying how he thought he would be in trouble with the wife for being ‘a little silly’