Finally

Chaz25

So I have secured some land to shoot on and part of that is open to dealing with Grey's I know I have to get my eye in as I have been shooting far to long at fixed ranges after all paper punching is not like taking life so I will need to spend time upping my skill and if I cannot make the grade I will decline the hunting. I have two BSA supersport carbines and a stealth all in .25 for use, not hunted for a long time and never squirrel before, so I guess I'm asking for pointer's.

Edited by Chaz25

I think you’ll get best results using squirrel feeders, that way you can set up at a known range and wait for them to come in. It’s difficult to judge the drop of .25 pellets at varying ranges with a 12ft lb rifle. I shoot a lot of squirrels with air rifles and mainly use 12ft lb .177 and fac .22

At very close range...10yrds max... a shot with a .22 12ft lb rifle, through the ribs just behind the front leg will kill a squirrel quickly.  BUT by far the most himane shot is to the head and you should know exactly the distances to your feeders and be able to hold over where necessary.  I always try to have my flip top feeders within 15 to 20yrds of my hide position, I use a folding seat blind that I made myself from a folding camping chair but you can buy the same for around £70,  I have an old camera tripod which I have added a support for my bullpup 177 and it just sits there waiting patiently for customers.  Don't be in a hurry, wait until the tree rat has a morsel and is static settled nibbling.   If you have access to a vice and a pop riveter I can send you some paper cut out patterns to make the flip top feeders. Just PM me.

Muchly gents will have to ask about feeder use (thou the guy dose pest control so should be ok), agree only a head shot feels right, and I'm curious with the thoughts on 177 use I understand what they offer just I guess would like to hear what you feel the gain is, being patient and still yeah I can do that my step father was of first nation origin 😁

The smaller calibre, arguably, offers better accuracy due to a flatter trajectory but can fall down on over penetration. After much time in the fields I tend to go for the engine room up to 20 yards then head past that with .177 as I have witnessed on several occasions Squirrels still very much alive half an hour after being shot clean through the head with the smaller pellet. Set your feeders up at a similar distance to each other from your hide and ensure you are zeroed at that range, feed with corn/wheat during the week but put a handful of Peanuts on the feeder on the day of your shoot. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Set up some feeders and a hide at your comfort distance and crack on 

look at a few of walker’s posts he’s a grand master at it 

A hide is good but i shoot many dozens simply sat in the landrover from the wing mirror

Just now, jall25 said:

A hide is good but i shoot many dozens simply sat in the landrover from the wing mirror

Well played - its some of the most enjoyable shooting there is - lots of watching and learning of how the whole environment functions

3 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

So I have secured some land to shoot on and part of that is open to dealing with Grey's I know I have to get my eye in as I have been shooting far to long at fixed ranges after all paper punching is not like taking life so I will need to spend time upping my skill and if I cannot make the grade I will decline the hunting. I have two BSA supersport carbines and a stealth all in .25 for use, not hunted for a long time and never squirrel before, so I guess I'm asking for pointer's.

So .hunting with an airgun .and a sub 12 .25 at that  .that's tricky due to the loopy trajectory  even with the lightest  pellets (h+n ftt  ) zero at 20 yds to avoid a apogee that is too high .if you have a mildot type scope .spend some time working out which dot corresponds to which range past your 20 yd zero .so say your on 6 X mag   your first dot down  would be  25 yds .second 30 yds and 4th 35 yds .

Confirm this on paper at those set ranges and tweak  the zoom on your scope till it works out nicely. 

Then go out into the woods with a pocket full of pellets and some crab apples or shot gun carts and randomly place them about  .try and guess the range with eye  or scope or range finder .and plink away .using trees and walls etc to steady your aim .

This is the best hunting simulation available  .

Once you have this mental map of range /aim point  .and your confidence grows your ready to go hunting .a walk in the woods for quarry is mostly about field craft in getting close enough . Learn how to guesstimate the range to your quarry and practice consistent gun hold and trigger technique and you should be all good ..

Have fun most of all  .

Edited by Ultrastu

3 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

Muchly gents will have to ask about feeder use (thou the guy dose pest control so should be ok), agree only a head shot feels right, and I'm curious with the thoughts on 177 use I understand what they offer just I guess would like to hear what you feel the gain is, being patient and still yeah I can do that my step father was of first nation origin 😁

I use a 25 cal sub 12ftlbs BSA lightning for most of my static squirrel hunting with the H&N FTT. Shots are kept under 25 yards and most are chest shots aiming for the heart and the 25 drops them without a problem as at that range pellets are carrying over 9ftlbs, more than enough to punch through ribs, heart\lungs and the spent pellets are normally lodged in back just under skin.

Hmm "knocked up feeders" that's a council house lass who can cook? and Jall25 "shooting from the landi wing mirror?" that needs pictures, Ho and its a 3 door 1995 RAV4 for me I like my 4x4 to drive well and do off road 😛 just kidding!

Sound advice gents so thankyou all, I like the apple Targets for ranging not done that in a long time!

5 hours ago, Stonepark said:

I use a 25 cal sub 12ftlbs BSA lightning for most of my static squirrel hunting with the H&N FTT. Shots are kept under 25 yards and most are chest shots aiming for the heart and the 25 drops them without a problem as at that range pellets are carrying over 9ftlbs, more than enough to punch through ribs, heart\lungs and the spent pellets are normally lodged in back just under skin.

That's good to know very much seems overlooked as a sub 12lbs calibre.

I have a PCP 177 and at 15yrds that will punch right through the chest cavity of a squirrel no problem.  Shooting from a hide I like to position myself at 15 -20yrds if possible and with the folding seat type hides you can do this no problem.   Even on head shots if you do enough you will very occasionally have one which needs a second shot.  Just strive to do the job as humanely as possible.    I have just given one of flip top feeders to a member on here to try so maybe he will come back with his opinions.  They work extremely well for me and it is amazing just how quickly they learn to lift the lid.  and will actually climb inside if the corn is low.  I shot one in the feeder once.