Finally

Chaz25

7 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

Hmm "knocked up feeders" that's a council house lass who can cook? and Jall25 "shooting from the landi wing mirror?" that needs pictures, Ho and its a 3 door 1995 RAV4 for me I like my 4x4 to drive well and do off road 😛 just kidding!

Sound advice gents so thankyou all, I like the apple Targets for ranging not done that in a long time!

To be pedantic it would be a 'pregnant lass who can cook' 😀

All I meant was it does not need to be special at this stage, just something to get you on a roll getting a few Squirrels under your belt without tramping around the wood for shots at various ranges and angles.

My philosophy would be to bring them to your position and range as they are tough blighters and a head shot every time for me with sub 12.

I believe that A well positioned and fed flip top feeder will pull squirrels a long way.  I actually witnessed one scamper along a ride in a wood for almot 200yrds and pass three pheasant feeders before climbing up to one of my feeders with some quality food laced with Game Keep powder.  If your looking for exercise and some sport on the move then great, but if you are looking to do a serious clear out job on the tree rats then a good feeder with quality feed and a comfy hide is the way to go.  I also use my Land Rover as a hide on occasion and have had tree rats run underneath it before now so it's presence doesn't deter them at all.  I have a piece of lightweight board with a shooting slot cut out which hangs on the outside of the passenger seat door and reduces the area of the window . I wind th window level with this board and then fit a length of foam  to rest the rifle on.  The BIG problem is it is too comfy and I have been caught out by the game keepr a couple of times in a deep commatose state.

Edited by Walker570

11 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

That's good to know very much seems overlooked as a sub 12lbs calibre.

It is very much overlooked, mainly due to descriptions of it's flight as "loopy" or similar, when as long as you know the range, adjusting becomes second nature. If you are already used to it, I would not hesitate to use it.

Additionally a 25cal hole is almost twice as big as a 177 (31mm2 v 16mm2) giving a lot of blood loss and distruction, which is needed to take a large squirrel down.

At the moment It looks like I can park at the access gate and go on foot from there so the RAV as a hide is not possible, from the conversation I feel he wants a low impact option so that means skulking about taking them when I can, I don't mind this and he's not expecting big numbers, my main take on this would be as expected easy accurate shots only, its more opportunistic and more skill on my part I know, I hope to go this week and walk the grounds and get a feel for the place, and set up a range (I'm taking my target box so nothing is left in place) nothing will move much beyond this till I'm happy with my shooting I've only been shooting the 25's up to around 10 yards and need to gauge them out to 20-25yards with assured accuracy.

I'll keep you gents posted, nice just to get back in the game, really missed those long days in the wilds with just seeing what the day brings to you.

Chaz if your capable of sitting fairly still, then I have shot a fair number off my feeders just dressed in camo with the rifle sitting on my tripod at about 20yrds they take no notice.  I did have one come down the tree I was sitting under and gave me abit of verbal for five minutes but I just sat still and eventually it made it's way across to the feeder and suffered as a result. I think I was just some 'blob' that wasn't there the day before which annoyed it.  Use what cover is available to break up your outline.  Best of luck.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Chaz if your capable of sitting fairly still, then I have shot a fair number off my feeders just dressed in camo with the rifle sitting on my tripod at about 20yrds they take no notice.  I did have one come down the tree I was sitting under and gave me abit of verbal for five minutes but I just sat still and eventually it made it's way across to the feeder and suffered as a result. I think I was just some 'blob' that wasn't there the day before which annoyed it.  Use what cover is available to break up your outline.  Best of luck.

No problem with stillness! I have a snood and scrim to break the upper lines the rest is a drab jacket and dark green tweed....yes I know! but if your wandering around with a rifle looking a bit "country" it has a good response from those that see and meet you and its good kit that works plus I really like it, I hear you lot smirking go ahead I have no shame!😁

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have a PCP 177 and at 15yrds that will punch right through the chest cavity of a squirrel no problem.  Shooting from a hide I like to position myself at 15 -20yrds if possible and with the folding seat type hides you can do this no problem.   Even on head shots if you do enough you will very occasionally have one which needs a second shot.  Just strive to do the job as humanely as possible.    I have just given one of flip top feeders to a member on here to try so maybe he will come back with his opinions.  They work extremely well for me and it is amazing just how quickly they learn to lift the lid.  and will actually climb inside if the corn is low.  I shot one in the feeder once.

The Maestro!

I even use the 22lr at 20-25 metres. Some may say it’s overkill, but dead is dead and as The Maestro says engine room, straight through and they rarely twitch. People have worried about a ricochet at such close range I’ve never had a problem and the 42 grain bullet just pancakes like an air gun pellet as it hits the armour plate on the front of the feeder.

15 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

The Maestro!

I even use the 22lr at 20-25 metres. Some may say it’s overkill, but dead is dead and as The Maestro says engine room, straight through and they rarely twitch. People have worried about a ricochet at such close range I’ve never had a problem and the 42 grain bullet just pancakes like an air gun pellet as it hits the armour plate on the front of the feeder.

Nothing wrong with that. I’ve shot more squirrels with rimfires than anything else. Hmr is mustard on squirrels out in the open, best tool for the job in some areas/situations.

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

Nothing wrong with that. I’ve shot more squirrels with rimfires than anything else. Hmr is mustard on squirrels out in the open, best tool for the job in some areas/situations.

Yes, the 17hmr is mustard when they are crossing the fairway at the golf course 

Well I got there  this week nice bit of land! 40+ acres, undulating with a high rise to the upper boundary so you can shoot down into the wood or across some of the more open ground to the edging woodland, seen crows, pigeon, pheasant, Roe deer, and a few squirrels, too high in the tree's for a safe shot and it was home time but shot some apples! Took the BSA .25 carbine I custom built, set a paced range out to 25-30yards and could choose a portion of the apple and shear it off once dialled in , but with such a fat calibre for sub 12 after 3-4 shots not much is left to aim for! so I'm happy the gun has been good 10inc barrel with only a half twist did not dent accuracy and the lock time is very good, anything lacking was down to me.

Edited by Chaz25

I did a thread about the build I'm in two minds about keeping it as I have another from the 90's that I kind of like better, yeah its the SE the barrel weight did seem to come standard as my classic has it but its drilled for the grub and locator screw were as the SE is not, the barrel was fitted not by me its was a .177 converted to .25 I did the cut and re-crown then balanced the spring to the port to the barrel I think its about 10.3 lbs

• 3 months later...

First successful day on tuesday, only been able to be on site a few times last month, so those times just getting some range practice in again and stalking plus getting a really good gauge of the grounds now, so I'm along a low ridge line path staying high so I can shoot down into the wood but not silhouetting myself, had seen a grey earlier but as the shot was presenting itself the squirrel moved off, this time it played out differently it was low and only about 20 yards away and I had the advantage of bracing against a trunk, facing away from me I had a clean shot to the back of the head the springer made its thunking sound a tiny time delay as the .25 bumblebeed its way down range and the sound of impact coming back to me, I could see and hear it was a good hit, the impact had carried it forward and into some scrub and out of view I moved down to it whilst reloading, I found it in the scrub no need for another shot the pellet met its mark, the rest of the hour I had on site the hunting got sparse so I just took in the wild life and set off home, I'll see what next week brings...

Edited by Chaz25

2 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

First successful day on tuesday, only been able to be on site a few times last month, so those times just getting some range practice in again and stalking plus getting a really good gauge of the grounds now, so I'm along a low ridge line path staying high so I can shoot down into the wood but not silhouetting myself, had seen a grey earlier but as the shot was presenting itself the squirrel moved off, this time it played out differently it was low and only about 20 yards away and I had the advantage of bracing against a trunk, facing away from me I had a clean shot to the back of the head the springer made its thunking sound a tiny time delay as the .25 bumblebeed its way down range and the sound of impact coming back to me, I could see and hear its was a good hit, the impact had carried it forward and into some scrub and out of view I moved down to it whilst reloading, I found it in the scrub no need for another shot the pellet met its mark, the rest of the hour I had on site the hunting got sparse so I just took in the wild life and set off home, I'll see what next week brings...

I used to have a .25 supersport in the nineties. It was one of the first ones. When you say the .25 bumblebeed it’s way down range, that brought it back to me. It’s just the sound it made. I used it mainly for shooting rabbits around factory units at night and that sound was really apparent for some reason. It was also used for clearing ferals in factories, worked a treat for that. Got a striker .25 now and it’s done some work as well.

8DE997D0-1780-43B6-85AF-37F5485C9A7A.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

I used to have a .25 supersport in the nineties. It was one of the first ones. When you say the .25 bumblebeed it’s way down range, that brought it back to me. It’s just the sound it made. I used it mainly for shooting rabbits around factory units at night and that sound was really apparent for some reason. It was also used for clearing ferals in factories, worked a treat for that. Got a striker .25 now and it’s done some work as well.

8DE997D0-1780-43B6-85AF-37F5485C9A7A.jpeg

.25 the musket of air rifles! well in sub 12 anyhow, love that sound its like an artillery round! I dont want to make you feel bad but I have an SS carbine from the 90's she's near mint so only be taking her hunting on good days the SE is in fair order but more every day, Lol white Rhino's! opening those its like and old tin of biscuits, how many are broken! I have two tins and a fair few.. well I dont know what they are just know its a bit of lead, but the good ones fit the old SS ok and are still cheap, how's the striker? whats you best pellet out of that lot? kind of like the Pylarm's for something light every thing else I spin down range is mostly 30grn+

8 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

.25 the musket of air rifles! well in sub 12 anyhow, love that sound its like an artillery round! I dont want to make you feel bad but I have an SS carbine from the 90's she's near mint so only be taking her hunting on good days the SE is in fair order but more every day, Lol white Rhino's! opening those its like and old tin of biscuits, how many are broken! I have two tins and a fair few.. well I dont know what they are just know its a bit of lead, but the good ones fit the old SS ok and are still cheap, how's the striker? whats you best pellet out of that lot? kind of like the Pylarm's for something light every thing else I spin down range is mostly 30grn+

The best lighter weights in the striker are pylarms and h&n ftt’s. The bore isn’t as tight as my bsa’s was. I think back then I could only get rhinos (Green tin) , pylarms and I remember having a tin of h&n rampoint which wouldn’t even fit in the breech. The pylarms were the best I tried in the bsa, but apart from these three I never managed to source any other types at the time. I sold the supersport along with my airsporter to fund a Theoben sirocco carbine in .20 calibre, I still have the Theoben.

9 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

The best lighter weights in the striker are pylarms and h&n ftt’s. The bore isn’t as tight as my bsa’s was. I think back then I could only get rhinos (Green tin) , pylarms and I remember having a tin of h&n rampoint which wouldn’t even fit in the breech. The pylarms were the best I tried in the bsa, but apart from these three I never managed to source any other types at the time. I sold the supersport along with my airsporter to fund a Theoben sirocco carbine in .20 calibre, I still have the Theoben.

Theoben carbine that sounds very nice! well thats a good exchange, never tryed a .20 and as we both have discussed the early BSA's do have that less than productive tighter bore might consider a sizing die as my make do chop stick loader is ok but not really dealing with the problem!