I know at some point you have asked yourself, will a chainsaw cut lead?

4tons?  robot counterweights.?   That's lead.?  Canon balls.?  Bird in deep fryer.  All very strange.  Some sort of black art going on here.  AND no socks.!!!  is this in America.?

How do you get the molten lead out of that pot without the whole lot going base over apex and frying your feet and legs.?

1 hour ago, Minky said:

4tons?  robot counterweights.?   That's lead.?  Canon balls.?  Bird in deep fryer.  All very strange.  Some sort of black art going on here.  AND no socks.!!!  is this in America.?

How do you get the molten lead out of that pot without the whole lot going base over apex and frying your feet and legs.?

Lol that is a stock photo of the fryer that I’m going to try to use.  I never melted lead in it I’m just going to borrow dads to try.  

We are getting 8 new robots at work.  The old one went to the scrap yard.  The boss said he would sell the lead to me for what ever the scrapyard offered.  I got it for 25cent a lbs.  

You can see the weight on the back.  

472ABED1-45B2-4CD3-9B53-064E6D6DCBF1.jpeg

2 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I bet the first cut was a proper frightener!

Many, many super high velocity penetrating foreign bodies spring to mind. If you have not already done so,  protect you groin, neck and eyes. With what I do not know!

keep safe and all the best.

It was unnerving to say the least.  I was 80% sure I was going to seriously injure myself.  

We had a customer who used a chainsaw to cut a doorway through soft internal wall blocks.!!! He wondered why the chain was wrecked.*#!*&. What a muppet.  I've never heard of using one on lead but it isn't abrasive and it's relatively soft. The only thought is that the chain sprocket area might not clear as it would do with wood. 

1 minute ago, powler said:

OMG what are you thinking of cutting up Mel? 😄

You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen cut with a chainsaw 😁.

I just really like the " yes it can be done " way of thinking about life in general. I'm a very big fan of just having a go at things. As long as logic and common sense are applied , we can do much more than most of us imagine.

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen cut with a chainsaw 😁.

I just really like the " yes it can be done " way of thinking about life in general. I'm a very big fan of just having a go at things. As long as logic and common sense are applied , we can do much more than most of us imagine.

That’s the attitude I like Mel, and the way we should all live! 
It’s the ‘how hard can it be?!’ positive outlook I encourage my kids to adopt. 
You just have to think it through beforehand and apply logic, which is why I shove steel shot through my non steel shot proved guns! 🙂

8 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

You can see the weight on the back.  

472ABED1-45B2-4CD3-9B53-064E6D6DCBF1.jpeg

It was unnerving to say the least.  I was 80% sure I was going to seriously injure myself.  

At least you were not a 100% sure; a dynamic risk assessment of sorts then.

Good luck with your endeavours.

atb

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Same...as long as someone else is doing it:w00t:

:lol:

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen cut with a chainsaw.

I was at a farm demonstration (late 1970s) where a chainsaw was being used to cut out blocks of silage from a clamp.   It seemed a very quick and efficient way of doing the job, but the safety aspect did concern me  --  anybody who has worked with silage will be aware that the top surface (immediately below the plastic cover) can be a very slippery place on which to stand.

I am not sure what effect the acidic material would have on life of the chain and bar.   The demo was using an ordinary chainsaw, but there were some models were being sold specifically for this job.

118893053_Trojanchainsaw-silage.jpg.ff5633a1f2cc63de73e2bc08ac898f91.jpg

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

and we know where that attitude ended up with:w00t:

Yep,  with a huge lump of ginger , and a permanent limp 😁

3 hours ago, Scully said:

That’s the attitude I like Mel, and the way we should all live! 
It’s the ‘how hard can it be?!’ positive outlook I encourage my kids to adopt. 
You just have to think it through beforehand and apply logic, which is why I shove steel shot through my non steel shot proved guns! 🙂

I'll have a go at anything , just think it through first ,  ask advice if you need to,  and be careful .

My lad is the total opposite , especially with any kind of power tool ,  I've always encouraged him to get stuck in to things , but he just never seems interested.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Saw him yesterday and checked his fingers and they where almost all still there.

Are you sure that they were definitely his , and that they were definitely fingers ?. With the amount of visits he has to A+E they probably just sew anything back on 😄