Deactivated SMLE

robsmyth

1 hour ago, robsmyth said:

Wrong !

Brexit is your friend.... incidentally, I have a lovely deactivated 1917 PO8  in my collection.

Can you back this up with evidence? Don’t want anyone getting into hot water, as far as I know it is still illegal to sell or pass on anything other than a current eu deact.

https://www.dandbmilitaria.com/deactivated-guns-and-antique-firearms/pre-eu-spec

All very confusing ain't it ?

Had a telephone conversation with a representative of the above and who is a senior member of several relevant organizations, confirmed that, only whilst we were still members of EU that " Old Spec " aka  pre-1995 deactivated weapons had to remain in sole possession of their owners unless being sold to a non-EU country i.e. Now UK .

Yes there is a question of whether Old Spec should be re-deactivated to EU spec, but apart from the fact that it turns them into nothing more than paper weights rather than precision engineered mechanisms, albeit unable to discharge a projectile, there is now no need and the authorities seem reluctant to get involved, which would suggest there is very little perceived threat. 

Do a search and you will find many dealers offering Old UK Spec deactivated weapons for sale.

Anybody got one for sale ????

It was completely unworkable from the start, If I had a early deact, I sold it to the man next door, no one was the wiser, as regards the EU, I dont think a lot of the rules imposed on us will change, remember the wattage of light bulbs, vacum cleaners, were stuck with them, but at least they cannot impose more **** on us.