Gun fit advise

Old farrier

Bit of technical information 

got a lad shooting and we are talking about leading the targets 

he’s a fair shot with his gun 

however on a right to left cross ha says he requires no lead almost shooting behind it 

but a left to right crosser this is exactly the same target we moved to the other side of the trap and I measured the distance 

he says he’s giving it massive amounts of lead 

so is it eye dominance problem or gun fit 

over to you I’ll be interested in your thoughts 

many thanks 

OF 

sorry gun is a 725 browning 32 inch barrels 

Edited by Old farrier

Could be either but I would think most likely eye dominance. 
I had the same thing with an American lady I was loading for over two days. She was hitting RL crossers but behind everything LR. She also shot to the left of straight on birds. I checked and she was left eyed, (RH shot). When I told her to try closing her left eye she said,”Mah coach says I should keep both eyes open.” Eventually she tried my suggestion and was amazed. I would not have liked to be her coach when she got back to Georgia.

It's unusual for a male to be left eye dominant. It's more usual in females. Most males are right eye dominant. So if not that then what?

I'd suspect it's more likely the gun is too long in the stock for him so he is mounting it not fully in his shoulder but with the butt end slightly to the right of where it should be. That will be the gun will be shooting more left that it should be. So on a right to left crosser he'll have an inbuilt lead because of that. And on a left to right he'll need masses of lead as the gun will naturally be shooting behind it.

The test is to shoot at a straight going away bird (with him directly behind the trap say ten yards or so behind so the pattern is still tight) and see if he gets most breaks on the left edge of the bird or the right edge. That'll be noticeable either by seeing where the shot off bits come from or where the clay is pushed to as it'll be away from the side that takes the impact of the shot.

On a double trigger gun you could effectively make the stock shorter by having him fire only single shots using the back trigger. On a single trigger gun with an adult's stock length I don't know what to advise.

Edited by enfieldspares

It's got to be cross dominance if he's right handed. It is more common with women but plenty of men are cross dominant too. The usual approach is to close the left eye or use something like tape or a dot on the glasses. There are also gadgets to fit on the gun too but longer term it is possible to train the eyes to overcome the problem and shoot with both eyes open but it needs a lot of commitment. 

Could be a matter of degree.

If it's as severe as described then the old pointy finger test will possibly reveal the dominant eye (unless there's a low comb problem, but we have to start somewhere).

Do, though, need to define 'lad'. Folk can find it more difficult to swing a gun one way more than the other. Do we have an early 'teens lightly built lad trying to accelerate an American canon and is having difficulty in doing so in the one direction which requires more apparent effort?

Possibly gun control .A right hander shooting left to right crosser will push the gun into the shoulder as he swings . Right to left it is frequent that the gun subconsciously is pulled by the fore hand away from the mount anchor point so actually increases lead without realising it 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

727game 

anyway thanks for the help advice and input from you all 

we fixed the problem today 

obviously new gun needed 

he’s right handed but his gun was left handed 

anyway problem solved 

many thanks 

of

Hello, Well done 👍 , what about a right handed stock ?

45 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Well done 👍 , what about a right handed stock ?

He’ll probably just trade it up for a right handed one it’ll work out less money than buying a stock 

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Possibly gun control .A right hander shooting left to right crosser will push the gun into the shoulder as he swings . Right to left it is frequent that the gun subconsciously is pulled by the fore hand away from the mount anchor point so actually increases lead without realising it 

Thank you gunman a very good thought 😊👍

You say he is a young chap so should be flexible. Is he of normal build, fat (am I allowed to say that these days?) ?   I ask because the physical build of a person can often inflience how they swing through.  I'm right handed and funnily enough I shoot bettwer on birds to my right where you would think I might tie up a bit, than I do on left handers where I tend to miss behind.  I have shot for the last 70yrs with both eyes open and previous to about 10 years ago never had a problem either side and I have not changed my build or weight for twenty years 6ft 15st BUT my old muscles do not move as smoothly as they did bak then.   This may also link with Gunman's suggestion.

I add on edit....If it ain't broke then don't mend it. If he is hitting them consistently both sides then carry on.  

Edited by Walker570

Glad you’ve got to the bottom of it. I new a left hooker who became a very good shot using a right handed gun. In fact when he became a sponsored clay competitor and acquired an expensive gun, he stuck with a right hander as his brain / reactions etc. were hard wired to that format. As said above, if it works…?

3 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Glad you’ve got to the bottom of it. I new a left hooker who became a very good shot using a right handed gun. In fact when he became a sponsored clay competitor and acquired an expensive gun, he stuck with a right hander as his brain / reactions etc. were hard wired to that format. As said above, if it works…?

He’s young enough to get better with a better fitting gun 

we shall see how he gets on 

thanks for your interest 😊👍