.17hmr Sak on .22lr

Dazv

Hi guys. I’ve just picked up and filled my last slot on my fac with a .17hmr 452. I’m really pleased with the rifle but have a question about the mod. It came with a sak mod that’s stamped .17hmr I’ve heard lots of folks say that the sak Rf mods can be used on both .17 and .22lr am I right in thinking this? I’d be less worried if it was stamped .22lr as it’s the larger caliber. Cheers guys 

darren 

Measure the outlet hole ....... if it is larger than 5.6mm then yes you can use it on a .22 rimfire

A 17HMR bullet is 4.4mm in diameter and often manufacturers use the Bore=Dx1.2 rule.
If SAK have then the outhole/bore will only be 5.3mm which is too small.

SAK mods are all .22 rated (bore wise) so are fine for .17 (smaller). The ones with makers details stamped on the muzzle end are newer versions.

'Don't last long with short barrels': best change mine then. It's been on my 16" barrelled Anschutz for getting on 10 years now. Had just a bit of use and never cleaned (retired gamekeeper)!. BTW: it still moderates just fine.

5 hours ago, 243ack said:

SAK mods are all .22 rated (bore wise) so are fine for .17 (smaller). The ones with makers details stamped on the muzzle end are newer versions.

'Don't last long with short barrels': best change mine then. It's been on my 16" barrelled Anschutz for getting on 10 years now. Had just a bit of use and never cleaned (retired gamekeeper)!. BTW: it still moderates just fine.

Hiya, long time no speak. You may have been lucky there, mine had the first few baffles burnt out on a 15" barrel HMR Quad in less than a year, at that time I was using the HMR a lot and subsequently burnt out the barrel by 7K rounds. Brothers Annie barrel got burnt out at similar round use but his was 16". 

My all steel ASE Utra just keeps on giving - and is quieter than the SAK ever was but to be fair is costlier and marginally heavier.

Edited by Dave-G