Showers

welshwarrior

I’m looking for PW expertise please.  

Im redoing a bath room and want to fit a shower over the bath, the water pressure is not brilliant so I was going to add a pump under the bath.   On the other side of the wall is a mains socket on a ring main. 

is there a pump I can run off this that people recommend and what type of shower will work best? 

Thanks guys. 

Just now, B725 said:

Mira with a pump built into the shower it uses the cold from the storage tank so the hot and cold have equal pressure. 

Should have said the hot water tank is lower than the shower.  

Im told the showers with built in pumps need a separate 10mm cable to run safely this run is to long/difficult to be really viable. 

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

Im told the showers with built in pumps need a separate 10mm cable to run safely this run is to long/difficult to be really viable. 

Unless I've read in it incorrectly on the Mira web site it can be bonded locally  ,are you confusing the cold water storage tank with what I said. 

Mother in law has one the outlet for the shower is higher than the hot water cylinder but lower than the cold water it is a very good shower 

3 minutes ago, B725 said:

Unless I've read in it incorrectly on the Mira web site it can be bonded locally  ,are you confusing the cold water storage tank with what I said. 

Mother in law has one the outlet for the shower is higher than the hot water cylinder but lower than the cold water it is a very good shower 

Ok that sounds an option as it would be like your MILs set up.  

Do you know the Mira model number so I can have a Google.  TY

9 minutes ago, B725 said:

Unless I've read in it incorrectly on the Mira web site it can be bonded locally

He's talking about a 10mm^2 supply cable that electric showers need, the Mira website is talking about the earthing cable cross sectional area.

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

Find another place to put your pump!  Whilst there such things as negative head shower pumps, they are a lot more expensive.

Also, keep in mind that if the pump leaks, needs maintenance or even replacement, siting it under the bath turns it into a pig of a job.

Can you not accommodate the pump near the tank?  They are usually only a couple of hundred Watts, so can easily be run off a fused spur.  Unlike an electric shower, which requires a dedicated supply from the consumer unit, an isolator, testing and terminating by a qualified spark.

Why does a shower with a mixing valve via 2 solenoid valve's and a tiny built in pump need a 10mm earth, it doesn't. 

41 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Ok that sounds an option as it would be like your MILs set up.  

Do you know the Mira model number so I can have a Google.  TY

I'm out all day and the old folk won't be able to work out the model number if you go on the Mira website you can see all the showers they do complete with the installation manual 

2 hours ago, B725 said:

Why does a shower with a mixing valve via 2 solenoid valve's and a tiny built in pump need a 10mm earth, it doesn't. 

I'm out all day and the old folk won't be able to work out the model number if you go on the Mira website you can see all the showers they do complete with the installation manual 

Thank you.  

No it’s a separate 3 core 10mm cable straight of the fuse box for a power shower or electric shower I need to avoid.  

17 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Thank you.  

No it’s a separate 3 core 10mm cable straight of the fuse box for a power shower or electric shower I need to avoid.  

But with the built in pump it a small cable as you use the hot water from the hot water cylinder it draws very little power 

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

But with the built in pump it a small cable as you use the hot water from the hot water cylinder it draws very little power 

So is it a power shower? I’m told showers with pumps inside that use the hot and cold are termed power showers and need an upgraded cable (Listed Building not new build) 

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Aqualisa Aquastream  Thermostatic Shower