Oxford congestion charge.

mellors

Hi all. 

I'm going to oxford end of the month. I see there's a emissions charge now, I've trawled the internet and can find no information on how to pay it or indeed if i will have to pay it other than look for signs. Not easy when you in a strange city. 

There loads of info on cost and vehicles but nowhere to contact or how to pay if needed. 

Frustrating to say the least. 

what TightChoke says - even 17 years ago the cost of parking in the center was exorbitant anyway.

I remember when they done the Oxford Transport Strategy - I used to catch a bus from Brize Norton and then the train to Reading - the OTS caused the bus to take so long I ended up buying a car and driving to Didcot - saved myself 45 minutes each way.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Use the Park and Ride System.

Forgot to say were going to the randolf Hotel i know its in the center it says you can pay up to 6 days before so i rather pay a tenner and forget it. 

My question was how !!!!. 

There's no way i can find i even rang the oxford council and they said use the portal ????. 

1 hour ago, mellors said:

Hi all. 

I'm going to oxford end of the month. I see there's a emissions charge now, I've trawled the internet and can find no information on how to pay it or indeed if i will have to pay it other than look for signs. Not easy when you in a strange city. 

There loads of info on cost and vehicles but nowhere to contact or how to pay if needed. 

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/roads-and-transport/oxford-zero-emission-zone-zez/charges-oxfords-zez

This says it doesn't come into force till February. 

9 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Oxford has recently announced new restrictions on driving in the city centre in an attempt to reduce the local air pollution for its residents and visitors.

This is a Zero Emission Zone (ZEZ) where a daily charge will be given for all cars that are not fully electric. It is expected to start in August 2021.

There is also a second of these zones called the Low Emission Zone but this is for Larger vehicles like buses

42 minutes ago, mellors said:

Oxford has recently announced new restrictions on driving in the city centre in an attempt to reduce the local air pollution for its residents and visitors.

This is a Zero Emission Zone (ZEZ) where a daily charge will be given for all cars that are not fully electric. It is expected to start in August 2021.

There is also a second of these zones called the Low Emission Zone but this is for Larger vehicles like buses

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/contact-council/contact-us

This is the link for the contact page for Oxford. 

1 hour ago, mellors said:

Forgot to say were going to the randolf Hotel i know its in the center it says you can pay up to 6 days before so i rather pay a tenner and forget it. 

My question was how !!!!. 

There's no way i can find i even rang the oxford council and they said use the portal ????. 

Ring and ask the hotel,  they probably get asked all the time?

4 hours ago, mellors said:

Hi all. 

Hello, how long you going for ? and what route will  you take into Oxford, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

37 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how long you going for ? and what route will  you take into Oxford, 

Ah the Randolf, as mice said the hotel will have lots of info on parking, , lots to see around the city, I go quite often, Thursday and Saturday there's an outdoor market which is why I go in to the city, enjoy your stay 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Don't go to Oxford. Would be my answer .

And if you need to go for business  .charge it all back to the client / company who made you go .

Think I've sorted it it looks like half a dozen roads in the centre are emissions zone. A larger area comes in to force February.

I volunteered to drop my daughter in law off for a birthday spar weekend. 

No way i would want to go to Oxford otherwise hate cities, shopping and loads of people. 

7 hours ago, old man said:

My answer too, I take my money somewhere else.

Well it looks like you will all stay in your own towns and not go anywhere give it another couple of years and all decent sized towns will charge it London started it Birmingham now charge and over 15 towns or city’s are planning to do the same as drivers we are all going to get stiffed 

5 hours ago, mellors said:

Think I've sorted it it looks like half a dozen roads in the centre are emissions zone. A larger area comes in to force February.

I volunteered to drop my daughter in law off for a birthday spar weekend. 

No way i would want to go to Oxford otherwise hate cities, shopping and loads of people. 

Hello, you can still get into Oxford without the worry of zones depending which way you come into the City, there are parking spaces in the road by the Randolf which can be a drop off , there are 4 park and ride parks with buses every 10 minutes or so depending which way you arrive and drop off just a short walk to the hotel, I don't think your have any problems if you are just dropping off your daughter in law, 

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you can still get into Oxford without the worry of zones depending which way you come into the City, there are parking spaces in the road by the Randolf which can be a drop off , there are 4 park and ride parks with buses every 10 minutes or so depending which way you arrive and drop off just a short walk to the hotel, I don't think your have any problems if you are just dropping off your daughter in law, 

Thanks all i will report back after I've been. 

15 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Well it looks like you will all stay in your own towns and not go anywhere give it another couple of years and all decent sized towns will charge it London started it Birmingham now charge and over 15 towns or city’s are planning to do the same as drivers we are all going to get stiffed 

Yup, I can;i abide towns anyway, feel very sorry for the ones who have to go there.

The plus side for the twits who voted for an extra layer of unnecessary officialdom?

21 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Does anyone know how the schemes will work, if for example I drove through several zones in the same day? Would I have to pay each council?

Google suggests motorways are exempt, but first you have to get onto the motorway and then get off.

You will have to go out of your way on the A roads, up as far as Chorley then go back down the 61 to where you wanted to go.

So I've no idea.