Food of the Gods.

JDog

59 minutes ago, ditchman said:

never ever tasted a woodcock ....shot enough of them and several left & rights...........is it true you cook them with the guts still in and serve them on toast ?

That is usually Snipe.

21 minutes ago, holloway said:

Someone can certainly shoot ! I can’t see a pellet hole in any of the woodcock ,bet it was a cracking day out .

The pellets were in the heads which I cut off. 

Both are excellent eating wrap them in some streaky bacon to keep them moist as they dry up very quickly.  We tend to do them and partridge in a crock pot roaster laid on top of a bed of mixed veg and sliced potatoes. One meal all cooked in the same pot.  Ours is one of thos 'chicke brick' thingies  the one is German Schlematof or something like that. Have two one by Lakeside. A must for ga,me cooking.

Finger food with a sideplate for the bones.

Edited by Walker570

I used to shoot a few woodcock and snipe when I was a youth and someone told mum to simply shove them inside a pheasant to stop them drying out while roasting them slowly with  carrot and onion and when they start to smell good in the oven take them out to rest  then put the mash on; it works well to this day, not fancy but wow what a feast

20 hours ago, JDog said:

These will be delicious. 

20220110_130037.jpg

20220110_140407.jpg

Food of the gods indeed jdog.  Snipe, teal and woodcock doesn't get much better..Most of my game shooting is woodcock and duck. So am fortunate to always have a healthy supply for our table. 

19 hours ago, ditchman said:

never ever tasted a woodcock ....shot enough of them and several left & rights...........is it true you cook them with the guts still in and serve them on toast ?

Would it be reasonable to ask you ditchman, why you never ate or even tasted a woodcock,  when you shot so many many?

19 hours ago, JDog said:

That is usually Snipe.

The pellets were in the heads which I cut off. 

I read somewhere that woodcock brain is a bit of a delicacy. I thought it was woodcock entrails that were spread on toast. They take a carp every time they take off so are always clean.

5 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Food of the gods indeed jdog.  Snipe, teal and woodcock doesn't get much better..Most of my game shooting is woodcock and duck. So am fortunate to always have a healthy supply for our table. 

Would it be reasonable to ask you ditchman, why you never ate or even tasted a woodcock,  when you shot so many many?

ive picked them up loads of times and i have always let alot go thro,,,,.....on one drive i was in a carr at strumpshaw....and it was a mixed pheasant and duck drive and shed loads of woodcock came thro and i shot 2 left and rights one after the other ...with a witness either side........but as to eating them i for some reason ..never been brave enough to do so........most of the shoots i have been on where woodcock are in the bag....the guns are prohibitted from taking them at the end of the day as they fetch serious money with the dealer or resturaunt outlets...........

23 hours ago, WinkerWatson said:

Couple of woodcock I shot on Saturday. What exactly is the best way to cook them? 

There seems to be a lot of woodcock about this year. 

20220115_150639.jpg

Woodcock are very easy plucked so pluck whole, remove head,feet,wings and remove guts.. they can be done both ways.  Rub  some olive oil into them season with sea salt, put onto roasting dish,  slightly cover with tin foil put into preheated oven high gas mark 9 for 10 to 15 minutes,  then remove tin foil and cook for another 10 minutes gas mark 7,take out oven leave to rest for 5 mins, season again enjoy.  Or another way prepare woodcock, preferably 4 or more, put in pot like a cast iron pot, WITH LID. Cover woodcock  generously with smokey streaky bacon bacon.  Put in pre heated oven gas mark 3 , leave for 2 to 3 hours,  low and slow. Top class, fall of the bone.  Wee legs,thighs are sweetest meat you'll ever eat..Spatchcock woodcock is top class on a charcoal bbq also.. And yes this has been bumper year for woodcock,  thank god , long may it continue.