Another great day at Prestwold.

Walker570

Was at Prestwold estate today with nine other guns for a mini driven day, sixty birds but no overage.  The first drive produced a grand show of partridge to all guns. The second and third drives put a few more birds in the bag and the final drive of the day produced some scorching partridge and fortunately some hugged the terrain preventing being shot at but we got back to the game cart to a count of 79 birds.  The day started at The Greyhound in Burton on the Wolds for a seriously good breakfast. The estate then picked us all up in the gun bus for the day. Elevensies then alfresco lunch, soup and cobs and cake, then at the end back to the Greyhound for a full afternoon tea with cakes and mincepies.  Cracking day and will be back on the 25th for more punishment.  One thing that makes the day for me is that the Head Keeper and all the staff all speak to you and enjoy you speaking to them and sharing your experience.  The A Team for sure.

Forgot to mention I had introduced a friend to shooting a 410 and on the first drive he had a superb right and left at partridge and took a seriously high woodpigeon that everyone else had left on the last drive. He is hooked.

Edited by Walker570

Glad to hear you had a good day, 

45 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

One thing that makes the day for me is that the Head Keeper and all the staff all speak to you and enjoy you speaking to them and sharing your experience.

Is that Craig (the head keeper) Or have I got the wrong place. 

Was I lucky yesterday???    I was woken this morning at about 01.30 with a severe pain in my right knee. Now yesterday the old legs where not working that well but I managed.  There is no way I would manage today as it looks like I have severe gout in my right knee joint and am struggling to walk without assistance. Rang our A Team (Doctors) at 0800 and about an hour later the Practise Nurse phoned back and after a few questions suggested I had better go in for an examination at about 3pm ........

Did someone on here say they couldn't get an appointment? No problem with our A Team they know if you have a serious problem that needs sorting and will get you in to the surgery within hours.  Hopefully it is just gout as ####!!!!#### pianful as that is and hopefully I should be ok for Monday at Catton, although no problem there either as the keeper will arrange for me to be dropped at my peg by a UTV.  Just standing will be painful.   Fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Is that Craig at Worlaby, Lincs maybe.

No mate, a very good friend of mine (Christina) is with a chap called Craig who has the lease for prestwold hall Loughborough, I shoot his land in Norfolk occasionally. He probably has someone else keepering Loughborough.  I just assumed he did it himself 👍🏻 So entirely my mistake 

15 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

No mate, a very good friend of mine (Christina) is with a chap called Craig who has the lease for prestwold hall Loughborough, I shoot his land in Norfolk occasionally. He probably has someone else keepering Loughborough.  I just assumed he did it himself 👍🏻 So entirely my mistake 

Hah!  John is the keeper we have met at Prestwold Hall, great guy but I would say not to be messed with.  Runs a very good ship with his family running the game cart and picking up.

Xray on Friday for the knee, ten minute job. It does feel a little bit better today and I did get about four hours kip last night.  As my good friend in Texas used to say....

"Getting old ain't for whimps !!!"

18 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

You are right Craig is the host and John is the keeper, its a very well run shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

My last day at prestwold today and again run perfectly by John the Keeper. Just a small day and 61 birds on the cart but lots of birds seen and lots of intercaction between likeminded guns. Great breakfast at The Greyhound and some morsels served on the way around four drives. Shot a couple of corkers I will remember which is what it is all about. Hopefully plans to arrange five days next season and have already booked all should they come to fruition.

One more day as a guest of a keeper for Keepers Day and another season closes.

Hope you have all had as enjoyable season as I have.

Edited by Walker570