First Trip out after COVID

pigeon controller

Following my eight days isolation thanks to COVID I went to test my fitness prior to shooting. I chose some ground that is part of the three hundred acres of rape that I have been looking after. So Friday I set out to scan a few rape fields on the way, it was a bright sunny day and the visibility was excellent. The chosen ground to walk round was we eaten in places but not too visible from the road and as I walked round I was disturbing birds from areas in the field that were tall and the birds would not have been seen from the edge of the field only when they fly in or out. I made a conscious decision not to take a gun as this was a purely recognisance event to allow DB and I to shoot on the Saturday.

The weather for Saturday was dire so I ended up not going out at all, DBs family had contracted COVID over the actual Christmas so they held a fake Christmas day on the Saturday.

The farmer had been asking when I would be shooting again so I set out on Monday morning to shoot the walked field. When I arrived it was overcast with heavy drizzle but the birds were flighting in to the field from all directions with very little wind. I built the hide in the middle of the rape to allow be to decoy a well eaten section and was all set up for 10.30. The first birds in were in ones and two’s but after a few shots they came in larger groups which is not good for bagging up but will protect the crop due to you shooting two and spooking thirty.

I had one of those shots when you know that you hit the bird well but it carries on and  I watched as it approached a house behind me with a very large glass conservatory and feared the worsted luckily  it went over the house and land in a large Cyprus tree in the garden and then dropped out. Sometime later I heard a voice from the hedge behind me who was the owner of the house with a pigeon in his hand asking if I wanted it back as the dog had brought into the kitchen. He commented on the number of birds who had been on the field and said I was doing a good job.

I packed up at 15.00 as in the last hour no birds had come to the decoys.

I questioned my fitness as it took three trips back to the Disco one being with 45 pigeons and my gun. I not sure if I have long Covid or just getting Old  

100_3542.JPG

Great to see you again doing what you do best , as for your fitness level , once you get get to the allocated time you can still defeat time but you cannot defeat time for ever and one day it will catch you up , it could be you feeling under the weather , the after affects of Corvid , or age is catching up with you , just enjoy it and don't over do it , instead of doing a long day and you have got to carry a large bag off , split it up into a shorter day and then try two short days instead of a gruelling long one .

All the best and THANKS for posting .

Well done getting out after your bout of covid- your fitness level will soon be restored if you continue to shoot heavy bags.

Good write up and a good read.

My recent successes may not be repeated anytime soon as there must be a buy one get one free offer on gas guns locally- and orange gas bottles can be spotted on almost every field of OSR that I have permission on.

Keep up the good work.

6 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Well done getting out after your bout of covid- your fitness level will soon be restored if you continue to shoot heavy bags.

Good write up and a good read.

My recent successes may not be repeated anytime soon as there must be a buy one get one free offer on gas guns locally- and orange gas bottles can be spotted on almost every field of OSR that I have permission on.

Keep up the good work.

Do not fear, I have a farm which have in excess of twenty gas guns and towards the spring they get use to them and I have some good shooting. It amazes me when I shoot close to the motorway and the constant bangs and noise of lorries etc the birds just continue to eat.

6 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Do not fear, I have a farm which have in excess of twenty gas guns and towards the spring they get use to them and I have some good shooting. It amazes me when I shoot close to the motorway and the constant bangs and noise of lorries etc the birds just continue to eat.

We used to have a heliport that border one of my perms and many a time when the wind was in the right direction for the helicopters to land I have had them 20yds above my head and the crew used to give me a wave , Pigeon wise, it didn't make a scrap of difference and the Pigeons just carried on feeding , these fields were less than a half a mile from the North sea and on a good year they were very good and average fields on a poor year , with no big woods near by the majority of pigeons came from peoples gardens and one church yard.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

We used to have a heliport that border one of my perms and many a time when the wind was in the right direction for the helicopters to land I have had them 20yds above my head and the crew used to give me a wave , Pigeon wise, it didn't make a scrap of difference and the Pigeons just carried on feeding , these fields were less than a half a mile from the North sea and on a good year they were very good and average fields on a poor year , with no big woods near by the majority of pigeons came from peoples gardens and one church yard.

Interesting