Big cat sighting

dipper

My daughter phoned me about 2 o’clock she’s had the dogs out on local park. She saw a large black cat ran out of cover and crossed her about 60 metres away. She said it was bigger than the springer it had a cats head and was black.I once saw a cat in the same area about 10 years ago walking on top of a drystone wall .But that was fawn.At the time 2 more people had seen it.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

I've seen one but wish I hadn't, whenever you mention it people just roll their eyes. After a little investigation another report was made within 2 miles about 5 years before.

Me too and no one believes me . I’ve got it on trail camera too but as a lot know on here I promised the land owner I’d never show it. Turns out the landowner has seen it once 

4 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Me too and no one believes me . I’ve got it on trail camera too but as a lot know on here I promised the land owner I’d never show it. Turns out the landowner has seen it once 

I'll bet a good clear picture would be worth a fortune, but the amount of ground a big cat could cover would probably mean your unlikely to see it again,  I can't imagine them having a territory like they would in Africa or India. 

One of the woods where I shoot I found a set of very large cat prints virtually the size of the palm of my hand. They were fresh prints made on soft mud. Enquiry of another person who use to shoot the same wood revealed that he had seen a large black cat just 100 metre from where I found the prints. 

11 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

One of the woods where I shoot I found a set of very large cat prints virtually the size of the palm of my hand. They were fresh prints made on soft mud. Enquiry of another person who use to shoot the same wood revealed that he had seen a large black cat just 100 metre from where I found the prints. 

Sounds like a good place to put a trailcam.

On 11/01/2022 at 18:43, bruno22rf said:

I've seen one but wish I hadn't, whenever you mention it people just roll their eyes. After a little investigation another report was made within 2 miles about 5 years before.

Same as that .

though I have not got a clue how no one has managed to find one dead or alive ?

I have seen several, Two whilst lamping a few years ago, and one on Wells golf course witnessed by twelve guys in our society.

When I asked the steward at the meal afterwards about it, he said a member had taken casts of footprints in the wood and sent it for identification the week before.

I think I put a post on here about it, but you know what doubting Thomas's we have on here! and they won't believe unless they can stick their fingers in the holes lol.

On the first one my lamping buddy was so scared he got back in the disco and wouldn't get back out. He'd been lamping with me for four years , that was his last outing with me.

It's still legal to keep a big cat in this country if you get a licence and it's not particularly difficult to get one. And you don't need a lot of security suprisingly

Plus, like snakes and birds of prey there is allegedly a black market as well.

So all these big cats are simply escapees or ones that people panic and turn loose.

It's not a big mystery where they come from or how they get into the wild. 

My Dad told me years ago he stepped out of the woods onto a track and looked down it to see a very large black cat "panther"100 yds away stopped on the track looking at him, the cat walked into the woods the other side and my Dad walked the other way down the track and to his vehicle.

I was out shooting with a friend when we heard a couple of very large growls, we both have been in the Army and both recognised it as a big leopard from tours we had done in Kenya, we walked straight out of the field got in the vehicle and went to another permission a good few miles away lol.

They definatly are out there, and given good cover and a food source could do very well.

2 hours ago, Munzy said:

If im going to believe it then PW witnesses have my greatest confidence. I just wish @team tractor would share his trail cam but I understand his reasons for not doing so and respect to him for it.

I was chatting to the owner last week about it and he’s seen it since . I haven’t seen it in 4-5 years . I’m out with the thermal several times a week now so I’m hoping if it’s there I’ll see it .