Cabinet installation upside down!?

chrisjpainter

After moving house, I've finally got round to installing the gun cabinet. The best (potentially only) spot on an appropriate wall is in a walk-in wardrobe. The plasterboard's removed and I'm bolting onto the wall, the position is fine...however access to the cabinet will be a beggar because the door opens on a right hand hinge, which blocks the cabinet somewhat.

If I installed the cabinet upside down, would that be a problem? Obviously the keys would then work back to front and the foam rifle supports inside would be a bit low, but that can't be beyond the wit of a man to correct! But is there any special security reason why a cabinet needs to be the right way up?

I should add, right now this is overkill. In the cabinet is just a sub12 air rifle, so doesn't need to be up to FAC standards, but I have permission on a farm, so an upgrade and FAC isn't beyond the realms of possibility, so if I site the cabinet properly now, it'll save time later.

Much obliged!

Edited by chrisjpainter

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

If it serves the purpose for which it’s intended, I can’t see what difference it being upside would make. 🤷‍♂️
Let’s face it, who’s to know? 

The only thing I can think of that would indicate it’s “upside down” is if there’s holes for bolts in the bottom. I can’t see why it would matter my cabinet has holes in the bottom but it’s mounted above the skirting so aren’t used

1 minute ago, JTaylor91 said:

The only thing I can think of that would indicate it’s “upside down” is if there’s holes for bolts in the bottom. I can’t see why it would matter my cabinet has holes in the bottom but it’s mounted above the skirting so aren’t used

Indeed. I can’t think of a single reason why it would be unacceptable. 

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

When you say "finally got round" how long did you wait?

I moved in to my partner's house at the beginning of 2020...But the gun's not been here all that time. It's been in the cabinet bolted to the wall in my parents house. Renting and guns aren't always happy together, so it was easier to leave it there and pick up the gun when I was on a shoot than move the cabinet around Oxfordshire. 

The gun only came down this weekend

5 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I moved in to my partner's house at the beginning of 2020...But the gun's not been here all that time. It's been in the cabinet bolted to the wall in my parents house. Renting and guns aren't always happy together, so it was easier to leave it there and pick up the gun when I was on a shoot than move the cabinet around Oxfordshire. 

The gun only came down this weekend

Sounds fair to me. Will you be storing the gun stock up and barrels down?

I used to have a brattonsound vault locking cabinet installed upside down.

The lock would sometimes be a bit sticky but always opened when the key was wiggled. The door used to rub a bit as well due to it being upside down. But no real problems 👍

21 minutes ago, owain said:

I used to have a brattonsound vault locking cabinet installed upside down.

The lock would sometimes be a bit sticky but always opened when the key was wiggled. The door used to rub a bit as well due to it being upside down. But no real problems 👍

I've noticed exactly the same, but it's nae bother. Lifting a touch as I'm turning the key seems to the job.

All installed and secured. Thanks for the replies one and all.

3 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

2 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Can’t see that it makes any difference but if the holes bother you, just cap them with short coach bolts and nuts?

Aha. I just realised I'd misunderstood! There are no holes on the top and bottom faces. By holes at both ends I meant holes in the back - top and bottom. That makes more sense; I'd  assumed all cabinets had holes top and bottom on the back and wondered why some would only have holes at one end of the back! But you meant holes  in the bottom face to allow you to bolt to the floor.