Anyone worried about Putin ?

ditchman

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, discobob said:

19% disability for me - just short of a war pension apparently....

1 minute ago, welsh1 said:

They are notorious for not wanting to award 20% which is the start for a war pension, you could appeal but they drag it out for years.

Yes challenge it, I was lucky enough to have the help of the Royal British Legion.

They helped me get from 14% to 20% and below 20% it goes up in single points.

After 20% it goes up in tens.

Good luck.

56 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Last time the population got called up for boots on the ground people were fit and thin.

Good luck calling up the U.K. men of today

They would probably have to have 14 different gendered battalions , so no one gets offended or err, triggered.
With the LGBTQ+ and BLM flag carried with the Union Jack.

On a more serious note, it puts into perspective how unready we would be in event of a WW , we dont have the trained reserves or the equipment to give them, unless there are warehouses full of old gear to give them.

Ill say this , to put it into perspective, a European war with Russia would be bad , but unless it went nuclear, a forgone conclusion in that we would win , hands down.
A war with China would be a completely different matter, they have the money, technology and manpower to inflict serious losses on NATO.

A military alliance along the lines of the old style Warsaw pact with Russia, China , and any other belligerents like NK, is not a good prospect, and I hope we dont end up pushing Russia toward this, as that is a battle we may not come out well from.

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ill say this , to put it into perspective, a European war with Russia would be bad , but unless it went nuclear, a forgone conclusion in that we would win , hands down.

The military chap on R4 this morning was saying that Russia sees Nuclear as an integral part of standard warfare ... sobers you up a bit!

25 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

They are notorious for not wanting to award 20% which is the start for a war pension, you could appeal but they drag it out for years.

22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes challenge it, I was lucky enough to have the help of the Royal British Legion.

Good luck.

20 years ago nearly now - I got £4k, appealed, and got a further £3.5K - Used RAFA who were bloody useless - TBH though I have learnt to live with my back now for the past nigh on 15 years now although I do have bouts now and then - and reff'ing a registered Skeet can be a ****** - my back locks up 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good luck.

Yep, you'd need it. Don't want to corrupt this thread so as briefly as I can as this has been mentioned, if anyone does want to claim, do not rely on your Service but get independent help. I was lied to on my discharge medical and it wasn't until ish 10 years later that I got lucky. Then some 5 years later I got really lucky. Anyone who joined up straight from school and is in receipt of a War Pension needs to think 'reduced earnings supplement' - lowered standard of occupation. Not saying you'll get it as you need to be assessed at a certain disability percentage, but if you don't know about it or don't ask you certainly won't.

Edited by wymberley

9 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

The military chap on R4 this morning was saying that Russia sees Nuclear as an integral part of standard warfare ... sobers you up a bit!

NATO used to as well, battlefield nukes were all the rage back in cold war days.
Mentality was back then , that not enough tanks and troops could be deployed by the west in time to stop Ivan, so the only way to deal with a mass Soviet invasion , was to err, nuke them.
The fact that W Germany would be the likely ground zero of these nukes, was a 'price' we would have to pay for keeping Europe free, the Germans kept fairly quiet , as they couldnt really say much after the bit of trouble they caused 30 years earlier.

I would certainly take the 'military chaps' comments with a pinch of salt, as its a little counter productive nuking the ground in front of you that you are invading into.
As a defensive measure , or in retreat , maybe, but the risk of escalation is usually far to high.

Depth charges and nuke torpedoes , thats a different matter entirely !

On 22/02/2022 at 09:12, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, on sky news an interview with a retired Army officer in Germany ?? he's classified Putin spot on, I just hope there's no one killed on the Ukrainian citizens and the west stands up to this madman , he won't stop at Ukraine ??

2 Soldiers killed and 4 wounded